• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Installing Windows XP on a PC via USB drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
Ok, so i have an ancient (5-6-7 years old) Toshiba Laptop thats suffered from a hard drive failure. This is why i got a mac, and since then, haven't used the toshiba at all.

But heres my problem, we have this art project (art school) and i got a brilliant idea to use my Toshiba. But when i went to start it, it said hardrive failure, and i pressed F1 to continue, didn't load. OK w.e. maybe the sys. files were corrupted or sumthing, thats ok cuz i got a xp sp2 disc. i put it in. starts repartioning the drive and stops @ 1%... sigh...

so heres my question, can i install win xp on a usb stick from the install cd, then boot off the drive? and if so how much space will windows need?
wat i will be using this pc for is running a video (that i have not made) about the computer (not important) and ya...

srry i'm posting in a mac forum... but i dont want to create an account sumwhere else...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
forget windows. Honestly if the harddrive has gone poof, you are better off running some flavor of linux from the USB stick. You can give ubuntu a try, its pretty simple.

Remember that playing certain video types in linux require additional codes so make sure you install all that before you take it to school for demo.

I am 99.9% sure you cannot install windows on a usb stick

Reaction score
I doubt it would work though I havn't tried it. If your OS has USB hard drive recognition in it... it's a possibility. What are you trying to do? If you just need the thing running you can boot many linux distributions from a floppy or a CD, you could try puppy linux or one of the Ubuntu's flavors possibly?

OP
kmkl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok will try linux, have a ubuntu live cd/ install disc lying around here somewhere...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Why don't you try putting windows on your Mac Via Boot Camp?

OP
kmkl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
first, i need the laptop for an art prjoject, to display a movie, ( i actually got it running just now, don't know for how long though) and be part of the show itself.

and second, i have windows on VMware Fusion already (for my parents, and running crappy little programs)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.