What is Stuffit for?

R

RonaldCS

As a recent convert to Macs I hve just installed Stuffit as the installer has been hanging about on my desktop ever since I activated my machine. Now that it is installed I have to find out its purpose.

As far as I can make out from the sites Google has found for me its only purpose is to compress anything that I may be sending via e-mail. (And of course decompress anything sent to me in this way) Is that correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
RonaldCS said:
As a recent convert to Macs I hve just installed Stuffit as the installer has been hanging about on my desktop ever since I activated my machine. Now that it is installed I have to find out its purpose.

As far as I can make out from the sites Google has found for me its only purpose is to compress anything that I may be sending via e-mail. (And of course decompress anything sent to me in this way) Is that correct?

yes, thats all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
it is basically winzip for windows

OP
C

CaptainMack

it is really important. almost anything you get off the net needs to be uncompressed by it

OP
R

RonaldCS

Thanks again. So far the only things I have got from the net were programmes which were not compressed - an AV programme and a firewall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.