Replacing my superdrive

Reaction score
My 1.8 G5's Superdrive has increasingly been giving me problems. I think it's about time to find a replacement. I spent half a day looking for recommendations on a good replacement and so far I'm leaning toward the Samsung SH-S203N. Everything I've read about it is good, however I haven't found a Mac-centric perspective so that's why I'm here.

Is the Samsung SH-S203N any good? Will I have any issues installing it myself [I'm a novice]? If this isn't the best, what is?

I appreciate any help I can get. I'm a graphic designer and I work for myself, so any downtime or potential problems costs me money.

thanks

-jeffrey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
As long as you know it will work in OS X then its fine

Personally - I have found Pioneer drives work out of the box

OP
J
Reaction score
That's what I'm wondering, most of the sites I have been looking at don't really define applications. I don't know enough to know if all internal DVD drives like the Samsung are standardized and will fit in any application.

The reviews I've read about the Samsung boast about it's speed and reliability. Up until the last six months,my current pioneer has worked just fine, but the machine is old and I'm looking to upgrade to the latest in speed and reliability.

-jeffrey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Unless you are 100% sure the samsung is compatible, I would go with the latest greatest Pioneer

Its up to you tho

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pioneer is supported natively and can strongly recommend the Pioneer DVR-115D DL burner which is 20X. You should be able to get one for around the $30 mark and fit yourself.

jchicken remember things such as your system bus speed, memory, programs etc will affect your burning speed so do not expect a 20X speed. Maybe about 8X on a 100MHz bus system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.