My Terminal is messed up.

Reaction score
Hey I need some help. I downloaded BitchX for OS X and ran it by double clicking the file in finder. It then of course opened Terminal and ran it. Now whenever I quit terminal and launch the terminal again, bitchx automatically starts up! I deleted BitchX and now when I start terminal it says BitchX process not found then its like process finished and that's it. If I click on new shell it does the same thing. How can I fix this???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
If you can't run any commands while this is happening Start by repair permissions. Close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility select volume, repair permissions. Also you may going in user > library > preferences and see if there are any pref files for bitchx and trash those If you can run commands, type top in terminal and see whats running. My guess if process not found bitchx wont be there. I would try ls (list, just l and s) and look for any bitchx files and rm to remove them Be very careful with the rm commnd!

Reaction score
Open terminal...goto preferences. Make sure "Execute this command..." or "Open saved .term file" are not checked. Look for .term files in your home folder (use ls -la to see hidden files).

V

VastDeathmaster

If you just deleted this program called BitchX, did you also delete its Pref file too? Also, if Terminal has a pref file you could delete that too. Others please correct me, but if you delete a prefs file for an existing program shouldn't that be rebuilt after rebooting the computer.

I know enough to be dangerous, so don't take me too seriously. :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If yo mean files in the preferences folder, then I believe that would be true.

OP
E
Reaction score
I fixed it, I didn't realize there were 2 preference folders, I kept going to Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences, but it was under my username, then library, preferences etc.

E

euro0

ahhh i need help too lol... I followed the ~/home/library/prefrences but from there i couldent find any file associating with bitchx ? i havent deleted the files in my bin folder but am trying to see if i could just eliminate the auto start but keep bitchx...

E

euro0

Aight guys everyone who dident get it like me delete everything and then look for a file by the name of com.apple.Terminal.plist and delete it...your terminal works now...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.