Mac seems to have created it's own log in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.2 Ghz OS 10.4
Hey everyone!

Mac specs: 17" 1GB flat screen imac

We're experiencing more problems. We changed bad RAM and on start up the computer is asking for a password when none exists. Like a log in screen for a user. We haven't made an account on the computer. And, we are unable to start up from operating disc. (holding down C key doesn't work as if blocked.)

Any suggestions?

Help appreciated again :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
106482_2.jpg

Look something like this?

Someone has enabled the Open Firmware password protection.

The"supposeable" fix is to change the amount of ram (add or subtract) and then reset the PRAM 3x in a row. Then put the ram back to what it was.

However, I've never seen anyone accomplish this.

Features of Open Firmware Password Protection

When turned on using one of the PowerPC-based models listed above, Open Firmware Password Protection:
  • Blocks the ability to use the "C" key to start up from an optical disc.
  • Blocks the ability to use the "N" key to start up from a NetBoot server.
  • Blocks the ability to use the "T" key to start up in Target Disk Mode (on computers that offer this feature).
  • Blocks the ability to start up in Verbose mode by pressing the Command-V key combination during startup.
  • Block the ability to start up a system in Single-user mode by pressing the Command-S key combination during startup.
  • Blocks a reset of Parameter RAM (PRAM) by pressing the Command-Option-P-R key combination during startup.
  • Requires the password to use the Startup Manager, accessed by pressing the Option key during startup (see below).
  • Requires the password to enter commands after starting up in Open Firmware, which is done by pressing the Command-Option-O-F key combination during startup.
  • Blocks the ability to start up in Safe Boot mode by pressing the Shift key during startup.

OP
Fiona87
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.2 Ghz OS 10.4
I'm sure no-one has enabled the open firmware and the computer never had a password. just left the password entry blank. When it opens to the login page it asks for a user name and password, which of course there is none. All start up keys (c,t,n) including reset pram are blocked making it impossible to start up. All this happened after replacing known bad ram. I would happily initialise the disk if I could just to get the thing running again. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
As soulwat said, try taking a RAM chip out and rebooting, pressing the reset keys as per his link

Some one else on another forum has had sucess with this

uccess! I decided to revisit the issue of disabling the Open Firmware password protection on a Cube I recently acquired and for which I did not know the password. What I discovered is that when I added or removed DIMMs to change the total amount of RAM, it removed the block on the keyboard combination for resetting the PRAM and NVRAM. I was then able to zap the PRAM, which disabled the Open Firmware password protection. As a result, I can now boot the system from the Apple Hardware Test disk and, when holding down the Option key upon startup, I am given the choice of bootable drives from which to choose instead of the Padlock image that I previously encountered. Thanks to everyone who chimed in here in an attempt to help me with this issue.

http://www.cubeowner.com/forums/ind...pid=81049&mode=threaded&show=&st=&#entry81049

OP
Fiona87
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.2 Ghz OS 10.4
Okay I'll try that. Thanks for the help! :)

OP
Fiona87
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.2 Ghz OS 10.4
Well we can't get it to work...still.....we have tried EVERYTHING.

Is there anyway to initialize the disk? Like...forcefully? We seem to be completely stuck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Were you or weren't you able to reset the PRAM after removing memory? Did you hear the startup sound twice as you did this?

OP
Fiona87
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.2 Ghz OS 10.4
We can't reset the PRAM..the keyboard doesn't work. We can press keys (like type in the login thing that pops up) so the keyboard does work, it just seems that the mac can't recognise any commands from it. :|

It's probably this open firmware. It kind of confuses me...Hmm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.