Download faster with Win XP (BootCamp)

Reaction score
I have no idea why downloading with WinXP (Bootcamp, IE) is twice faster than Mac OSX Leopard (Safari, Firefox, Camino, IE) on my MAC Book (2 G RAM).
Internet connection is given by an USB Modem HSDPA/UMTS, but I don't think this is the matter.
For example, testing with Speedtest.net resulted in 1360 Kbps with WinXP Bootcamp and 648 Kbps for Mac OSX. Upload and Ping speed is more or less the same.
Such difference is clearly visible on normal downloads.
I'm very disappointed about that, could anyone help me ?
Thanks,
L.Arbushell

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Modem plugs into the Mac via USB? If so I will almost bet its a driver issue. I get the same basic speeds here with speedtest.net on PC's and Macs. XP and OSX. I am connected up via the Network port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
3G is still not prominent in the United States. Your issue if precise and assuming there are no driver issues (or lack of drivers from apple) makes me believe that Apple builds their laptops considering only US market.

Are you using current gen Mac?

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes, it is and USB 3G modem.
Actually I'm using 3G in Europe and in order to work with Apple I'd to install some extra drivers supplied by the provider, may they are not well optimized for MAC (or having some issue).
Could mojonhanda gently explain me what does it mean 'gen Apple'?
Thanks indeed
L.A.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
Yes, it is and USB 3G modem.
Actually I'm using 3G in Europe and in order to work with Apple I'd to install some extra drivers supplied by the provider, may they are not well optimized for MAC (or having some issue).
Could mojonhanda gently explain me what does it mean 'gen Apple'?
Thanks indeed
L.A.

I was wondering if you are using current generation macbook or previous generation

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.