G5 (Power PC) won't boot with 2nd hard drive

Reaction score
My G-5 original hard drive was beginning to fail so I replaced it with a Seagate Barracuda 320g drive which it will boot from fine. I also purchased a Seagate 500g data drive as a second internal drive but it won't boot with thise 2nd drive connected. Boots fine (really quick) with just the 320gig. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you set the jumpers on the second drive to slave? If not it will not appear on the desktop and you will not be able to access it.

Go to the Seagate web site and download information on the jumper positions master and slave.

OP
T
Reaction score
I didn't think there were jumpers on a SATA drive. I'll check tonight. Thanks.
Steve

OP
T
Reaction score
I've tried every jumper setting there is and the unit won't boot with the second drive installed. The new boot drive will boot fine but without a "chime" on bootup which is strange. Maybe the second drive is bad??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You have had some time to experiment. Any luck? One question was the new drive formatted to Apple Partition Map as even Seagate drives come from the factory PC ready?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.