Need help MacFUSE and NTFS-3G to be able to read NTFS hard drive!

Reaction score
hello to all! this is my first post here because i could not figure out this problem at all! i'm a recent windows to mac converter and love my new imac :D . i've ran into this problem that i'm sure most of you know about and it's that OS X is not able to write to a NTFS hard drive. my external hard drive that i was using before with windows has all my data and files and i really don't want to reformat it. now, i know using macFUSE and NTFS-3G it is possible to mount an NTFS hard drive and have OS X be able to write to it but i can't figure it out right!

I have spent the past 6 hours online going from site to site and following different people's directions and cannot get it to work! i installed macFUSE, then NTFS-3G and restart, un-mount the drive, go into the terminal and enter what you're suppose to (at least i think i am doing it right...), and then try to mount my hard drive again and it still shows up as a read only drive. i am going insane! i've seen so many posts on other forums of how easy it is and i can't get it! if anyone can help me... please, i would so appreciate it! and i do need specific step my step instructions being that i'm a total newbie... ;D thanks!!

by the way i'm using OS X 10.5.2

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
MacFUSE can be notoriously difficult to get working. Might I suggest Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X? It's pretty much plug and play.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.