Mac stability myth

Reaction score
Every time I see a forum comment about the Windows Blue Screen of Death, someone jumps in proclaiming 'Get a Mac'. Well I have a PowerBook Pro (Fully patched Leopard) that I'm struggling to learn. In the past few weeks I have seen more irritating hard lockups than I have witnessed on all three of my XP machines in the last two years.

Now I freely admit I don't know always know what I'm doing but if this machine is really as stable as the zealots claim, there shouldn't be too many ways I can break it. I mean that spinning pinwheel that prevents me from reaching the Force Quit menu is every bit as maddening as the infamous Windows blue screen.

I don't 'Love my Mac'.

--- CHAS

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
few people here would say that macs are unfalteringly stable. they will have issues like any other piece of electronics - especially one that you can load your own applications on to.

the windows is less stable myth, which to me seems more accurate a statement in a way, comes from the fact that there are more possible hardware configurations, more 3rd party apps and hardware, more malware, etc. even if the OSs were dead even off the line, all the mutability of the windows platform will surely give more users more issues than with apple products.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You could always try this:

http://www.alienware.com/?from=PAID...re|901893666&gclid=CKDyq9mmi5MCFQY_agodenhEgg

www.dell.com

I am far from a Mac Zealot and own as many PC's as Macs, but I still find OSX WAY more stable than Windows. No, it's not perfect, nothing is, but I rarely have the OS totally lock. Maybe once a year if that and I am a power user and use my machines HARD.

Then again my home made systems are quite stable with XP Pro also. I really never get HARD lockups with either XP or OSX. MOST of the issues I have ever had with OSX are with aftermarket programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
i havent had any issues with my mac. nearly 6 months now without a single crash. then again my windows xp machines dont crash very often if at all either.

only time ive experienced bad crashes o windows xp is from overclocking. wich i dont bother with anymore.

definatly sounds like your machine needs to be serviced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
I honestly believe then entire stability debate is completely pointless, as the arguments are totally subjective.

Mac zealots will rock up and say "Mac are infallible, never crash, BRILLIANT"

But they just.do.

There are much better reasons to own a mac. When I first got my MacBook, it was actually dead on arrival. I got about 3 hours of life out of it, then the whole thing died. Arguably, this was probably a manufacturing fault, rather than a fundamental operating system flaw. But the point is, no system is completely stable. And its stability very much depends on what one does with it.

For this argument to be settled, you'd have to empirically test the theory, so testing 2 machines of the same configuration, one with OSX and one with XP on it.

Putting my opinion hat on for just one second... Since the new one, my mac hasn't crashed on me yet.... But there's always a first time and when there is there'll be a PC user there to watch it happen

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Cmd+opt+esc to get to force quit menu. Something might have been installed or uninstalled improperly that is screwing with your system, or you could have bad hardware. Mac OS X is generally more stable than Windows, but it's far from perfect, and hardware defects exist as well, try running repair permissions from the Disk Utility that can be found in the Utilities folder which is in your applications folder.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
HA! :D nice catch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 7200 RPM 250 HD, 2 gig Ram, 2.4 Gig processor... IPHONE 3g
I don't have issues with that on my mac, and my info on the matter would be to first make sure that you have enough memory, harddrive space, etc... to run Leopard or whatever it is that you are running, and if the answer is yes, then I'd say well *** are you doing to it and why are you "struggling" to learn? It took me a week to become perfectly comfortable with it, and trust me there was no struggling involved.

Any crashes I've ever experienced on a newer mac, that came with Leopard were quick, simple, and fixed in less then 30 seconds and I was back on my way to a perfectly working machine. When windows crashes, you force quit, force quit DOESN'T force quit like it should so, you restart, on snap there is bill gates blue screen of death, you reformat, you lose EVERYTHING, you spend weeks looking for new drivers and backups for what you lost, and then you repeat the cycle endlessly.

On a mac, if something doesn't respond (which doesn't happen often) you force quit... when you hit the force quit... what do you know it actually makes the program quit... NOW. That takes care of it. If it freezes you simply restart it, and in 15-30 seconds you are back up and running and don't experience the problem again.

Also, I'm not a grandmother who only e-mail with her machine. I run mine hard also. I play WoW, Need for Speed Carbon, Homeworld 2, the sims 2 and do other things like Aperture, Adobe Photoshop CS3, Dreamweaver, play with the terminal, have made mine a smackbook, and put an alarm on it, decided I didn't like Little Snitch. I've shamelessly moved and deleted hundreds of things, and had 3 games running at the same time. Hot mac... no crashes though.

Some advice I have for you, is that if you're struggling you're probably trying to make your mac a pc. If you find yourself saying "Well that's not where it should be" or "On my pc it's there" then you are going about learning it the wrong way. Explore things, have fun with it, and don't let it beat you, because I promise you if you try with an open mind and forget about windows you will learn a lot faster, and you'll notice like others have told me that, it is actually very user friendly, and probably easier for a common user to understand then windows.

As for your crashing issue lifeisabeach below seems keen on trouble shooting it for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Every time I see a forum comment about the Windows Blue Screen of Death, someone jumps in proclaiming 'Get a Mac'. Well I have a PowerBook Pro (Fully patched Leopard) that I'm struggling to learn. In the past few weeks I have seen more irritating hard lockups than I have witnessed on all three of my XP machines in the last two years.

Now I freely admit I don't know always know what I'm doing but if this machine is really as stable as the zealots claim, there shouldn't be too many ways I can break it. I mean that spinning pinwheel that prevents me from reaching the Force Quit menu is every bit as maddening as the infamous Windows blue screen.

I don't 'Love my Mac'.

--- CHAS

Whatever the problem is, there almost certainly is a solution. You may have faulty hardware, a rogue piece of software, some kind of corruption in a Library folder, etc. Griping about it solves NOTHING! These forums are full of knowledgeable folks and if you are patient, follow any advice given, and give ongoing feedback on how the advice worked or didn't, it's a near-certainty the root of your issues will be found. But it's incumbent on you to ask for help.

Reaction score
I too have been disappointed with my MBP's stability. It isn't necessarily bad but it does crash more than my previous XP system did. I have found though that the significant majority of the "crashes" have been due to one program, Firefox, even with latest updates. As I've said in previous posts but few fanboys will admit, Mac and XP are more alike than different.
Swedevb

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is an Application crash and NOT an OSX crash. Happens on XP also and it's not the fault of XP either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
There isn't an operating system (or program for that matter) that can't 'crash' or 'panic' (actually a more correct term. This includes the big boys.. that is mainframe OS's like z/OS (os/390) and Tandem, Unix's (AIX, HPUX) etc. That being said, for the most part those panics are related to user operation rather than runtime. You should probably be more interested in looking at what you're doing when your system panics rather than seeking to blame the OS.

Windows? Yep, a little less stable. Why? A myriad of physical host configurations and dubious 3rd party drivers. I won't even get into the mess that can be the system registry. Now, the level of output from OS X (and really most unix-like OS) compared to windows really helps with PD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Back when I had a Windows machine, the way to correct this problem was to uninstall Yahoo Instant Messenger.

My mac has crashed more frequently than Windows, so far. But 3 months is not a fair ratio to 4-5 years. There's nothing wrong, it happens on legal software but corrects itself after a reboot, I guess.

Corbri doesn't sound like he actually read your post, since you said Force Quit does nothing (and it has happened to me before) and a blue screen never reformatted my hard drive. In fact, I'm still using the same one from my Windows machine.

It all comes down to this, and this is something almost everybody hates to realize. The two operating systems are pretty much the same. One is not more "stable" they both can run "hard" because I did more with my Windows machine than Corbri is doing on his Mac and still had enough to render 3D with no problems, and a lot more that I already got into in another post.

It's not a "myth" it's a marketing thing that Apple does that worked to bring people in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It all comes down to this, and this is something almost everybody hates to realize. The two operating systems are pretty much the same. .

I'm going to assume you're speaking metaphorically. In that case, sure.. they're both desktop class operating systems. From a technical perspective, not so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
I'm going to assume you're speaking metaphorically. In that case, sure.. they're both desktop class operating systems. From a technical perspective, not so much.

So I am knee-deep in my attempted switch from PC to OS X and after initially thinking it was a no-brainer, I am starting to have second thoughts. That is not to say I’m not totally in love with OS X, I am. There are just some realities that must be faced and some truths that must be accepted before I can truly take the plunge either way. But I really don’t think that will happen any time soon, as I’ll explain here. Please excuse the sort of random nature of this post, it’s somewhat stream-of-consciousness as I posted it in haste very late this morning. And if you visit this blog expecting to see interesting visuals and have been wondering why I keep obsessing over all this technical rubbish, sorry…You won’t be seeing much more of this I’d imagine, I think I’ve finally got it figured out (at least for the next couple years).

The reality is computers as a whole just don’t really work the way we want them too. OS X is very user friendly, but only by comparison. The way we interface with machines in general is sadly an archaic and inefficient affair. Given this fact we must choose the lesser of two evils. The two evils at this moment in time being XP and OS X.

It’s funny how we see them as these parallel universes who’s features are worlds away and differing so greatly. But if I were to try and see them both in a truly objective way it would be pretty clear that they were essentially the same, save for some minor differences. We use the same hardware to interface with both, most gestures are the same, and the core concepts which govern the user interactions with applications are essentially identical. All is based on the same archetype of human / machine interaction developed at Xerox Parc as far as I can tell.

All that said, here are my conclusions after working with both OS’s on the same hardware (thus having no hardware-based performance bias):

1. OS X is a visually superior experience. Things look solid and clean, and so the perceived experience is more enjoyable. Every time I use Windows now I feel disappointed; the beauty and simplicity of the OS X interface is an incredible achievement. The saying "it just works" may not be entirely true, but it sure feels true most of time… Things, for the most part, just work in OS X. And they just work the first time, not the second time after reading 30 posts on some arcane message board about cryptic Windows error codes.

2. OS X is more stable when using Photoshop. This is simply the truth. Perhaps this is only the case with large files, as I almost exclusively deal with. A single night of working with PS in Windows is wrought with errors, bugs, crashes, and lost work. This is not an isolated experience with one machine…This is a constant across years and years of different hardware configurations with the only constant being the OS: Windows XP. In my experience with Photoshop on Mac OS X I have yet to encounter one crash, bug, or hiccup. One time Bridge crashed, but Bridge is a complete mess and everyone knows it, so I don’t expect much from it. And besides, Bridge can’t be considered much more than an Alpha build on Windows, it crashes almost every time I use it, it’s insane it’s actually a public release.

3. Windows XP has better raw performance than OS X. This is a fact. I have benchmarked both OS’s on the exact same hardware. XP wins every time, handily. I don’t know the reason behind this, perhaps OS X has a larger operating overhead, but it’s a reality and you must accept it. I have accepted it and moved on, I realize that the myriad superiorities of the OS X experience far outweigh any performance benefit you might realize within XP. The overall stability of OS X alone is enough to keep me coming back regardless of the speed.

4. It’s a tie. I hate to say that, but I now believe it to be true. This is a sad reality, I would love to know one was best and that it could fulfill all my needs, but this is simply not true. Both OS X and Windows XP have their strengths and weaknesses and both must be loved / loathed accordingly.

5. VISTA SUCKS. Not much more to say, Vista is a complete and utter disaster with no value beyond a stop-gap-eye-candy-hole-filler of an operating system clearly designed just to buy time until Windows inevitable decline as the dominant OS and / or Microsoft’s eventual decision to create a true evolution of XP, which was, at it’s zenith, a solid and quick OS. So here’s to patiently awaiting XP SP3, then probably being totally disappointed.

6. I am getting a Macbook Pro and this will be my default machine. I always have two computers: one tower which I use to create graphics and music (it is the workhorse which has enough power to crank through the big stuff) and a laptop which sits on my desk next to my monitors. I use the laptop for email, internet, chat, music listening, video etc. This machine goes everywhere with me and allows me to get some light work done on the road. This machine will now be a mac, and should have always been. Mac is far superior in this arena and delivers an experience that’s so far advanced compared to Windows, it’s seriously sad. I also use my laptop for playing live shows and for some reason, there seems to be a much better selection of live performance oriented music and video software for OS X. I am basically getting the MBP just to use Modul8 as I am pretty much fed up with Resolume.

7. Finally, I would have to add that OS X (and the Mac in general) has only recently come of age. Most of my friends who’ve worked with Mac’s for years agree that it has only recently become the grown up, stable OS that we enjoy today. All this while Windows is sliding off the face of the earth…The decision gets easier every day.

So that’s it, my 200 cents. Take it or leave it, your mileage may vary, etc…etc… I know this won’t put anything to rest for anyone, it’s simply the culmination of my experience with one machine and two operating systems.

A' la a friend of mine that was also published in Computer Arts Magazine.

dfb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 inch. 2.4ghz
Try to Repair your disk permissions... My MAC has had the Spinning Wheel(Blood Sweat and Tears)..But hit option Command and ESC at the same time.. The application Quits, unlike Windows that must be RESTARTED!!!! I don't get any trojans on my Mac, no spyware, or virus' and no little window asking me, "Do you want to send this report to Microsoft"...I don't have to enter a 25 Alpha Numeric code to load the OS... Let's face it... Leopard is LIGHTYEARS ahead of Microsoft... Microsoft imitates and NEVER innovates...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try to Repair your disk permissions... My MAC has had the Spinning Wheel(Blood Sweat and Tears)..But hit option Command and ESC at the same time.. The application Quits, unlike Windows that must be RESTARTED!!!! I don't get any trojans on my Mac, no spyware, or virus' and no little window asking me, "Do you want to send this report to Microsoft"...I don't have to enter a 25 Alpha Numeric code to load the OS... Let's face it... Leopard is LIGHTYEARS ahead of Microsoft... Microsoft imitates and NEVER innovates...

Are you sure about that? OS X always asks me that when Photoshop, Firefox, Dreamweaver, Cyberduck and whatever else has crashed. And what in the world is this alphanumeric code you're talking about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At least it asks :) license key.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.