MacBook to HDTV (Audio Problem)

Reaction score
I've connected my new Macbook to my PHILIPS HDTV (37PF7320) using the mini DVI - DVI TO HDMI cables. The video quality is perfect.

However, I'm running into problems getting the audio out of the Macbook and into the TV. According to the TV manual (information later confirmed by Philips tech support), the way to do this is to connect the laptop to the digital audio input (coax / SPDIF) on the back of the TV and then instruct the TV via the SETUP/SOURCE menu that audio for the HDMI input is coming in throught the digital audio input. I did using the following cable:
http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio...gital-audio-3-5mm-to-rca-spidf/prodSPDIF.html
However, I don't get any sound at all. I tried connecting my DVD player to the digital audio input in TV to make sure it's working and it works perfectly.

I don't know what else to do. I'm thinking that perhaps the optical digital output from the Macbook is not compatible with the coaxial digital input (S/PDIF) in the TV. Does anybody know if that is the case?

Can anybody offer a solution?

Thank in advance,

curuxu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
do you have a home theater receiver? If you do, you could hook up the MB to the receiver instead of the TV

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It appears you're using the correct cable. Make sure you have the sound output level on the MacBook set as high as it will go. Also, when you attach the cable check the sound output direction from system preferences, sound. It should state "headphones". If not, the cable connector may not be making good contact on the RCA 1/8" side.

If you've done all that and still no sound, it may be as you say or the output level from the MacBook is too low for adequate amplification by the TV.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3
If you can, why not use RCA to 3.5mm Headphone cord on the same input? Some TVs allow that....

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks chscag. I tried everything you say and still no sound. Can anybody else offer other ideas?

I also tried connecting the Macbook to another AV source in the TV with a regular 3.5 mm to RCA (Red & White) cable and it works fine. The problem seems to be getting the Macbook to output digital audio into the S/PDIF port in the TV.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
have you looked at the settings on the tv? some tvs have a setting to make a audio input designated to a video input. if your tv supports this than you will need to change the default audio source

OP
C
Reaction score
I changed the settings on my TV in order to designate the digital audio in port as the audio source for the HDMI2 video source, which is where the Macbook is hooked up to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook1.83GHzC2D 4GB Ram 320GB HDD DL Superdrive iMac C2D 2GHz 3GB Ram 1TB HDD DL Superdrive
Could the cable be faulty? Can you test it on another device?

OP
C
Reaction score
As I said, I tried connecting my DVD player to the digital audio input in the TV with the same cable to make sure it was working and it works perfectly.

OP
C
Reaction score
Solution

I guess I'll answer my own question.

The MacBook's optical digital audio output is not compatible with a digital audio input (SPDIF) and the only way to connect both is to use a little gadget to translate the optical into a coaxial signal. I ended up buying this from monoprice.com and it works:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2948&seq=1&format=2

I hope this information can help others.

curuxu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2Ghz, C2D, 4Gb Ram, 160Gb HDD. 8Gb Ipod Touch 1G.
The MacBook's optical digital audio output is not compatible with a digital audio input (SPDIF) and the only way to connect both is to use a little gadget to translate the optical into a coaxial signal.

Can anyone expand / explain why this is so?

I'm looking at using a mac for HTPC and would be connecting to a receiver. Does the above only apply to the OP's TV?

Paul.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.