Don't understand FTP at all!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook intel core duo 2.0GHz, 2 GB Ram
I recently got Transmit, and I have no idea what I'm doing. What's the server, who's user name and password do they need, and what's the initial path? When I went to their website I clicked on a link that enabled me to get info directly from their FTP server, so it automatically filled in all the info on my computer for me in Transmit, but when I clicked connect, it said unable to connect. Why can't any of my programs ever connect to the server? I enabled file sharing in my system prefs....Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I really want to get the most out of FTP, but none of it makes any sense to me.

Localfruit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
FTP services are quite straightforward really

Are you trying to coonect to an external FTP server?

Typically you only need 3 things

Address (just like a web address)

ftp://[email protected]

User name : username

a Password: password

you may want to enable passive FTP, this should be an option in TRansmits connection settings

you can usually ignore the intital path setting

that's all you need, usually to connect to an FTP server

PS if the server you are trying to connect to does not have any private company data on it, you could PM me some details and I could try and help you get a proper connection to the server

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook intel core duo 2.0GHz, 2 GB Ram
Thanks so much! I'm still tinkering with it a bit, what i can't get around my head is the server. I looked up my IP address, and put that in there and it didn't work, and when my system prefs said that "this" particular number is my ftp address, i placed that in there and it still didn't work. Am I trying to connect to myself? Am I doing it backwards? How can it be like a web address? The real reason I'm even messing with this is because I'm trying to publish something from Bannerzest Pro and place something on my myspace page, but I have no idea what to put as a server, and most importantly what my site folder is. None of this seems easy. And when I click browse, (for a folder), it says its unable to connect.

Thanks Louishen for all your help and patience
Just wish I could sit next to you and watch you do it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
right - I get what you are doing now

you want to host your banners and then link them to your myspace account

While, yeas, your mac can become an FTP server, you will have to have your mac connected to the internet 24/7 for it to host any banners to your myspace account.

What you need is a a website host - space on an external server that will be a home to any websites and banners you need access to

I assume you do not have a host account on a webserver like 1and1

If all you want to do is put a flash banner on myspace then you can get a free image host from image shack

http://imageshack.us

you can upload a flash file from there and it will give you a direct link to the file. You can then insert this link code in to myspace's html

like so

my.php

except that in my example, the forum does not support linking flash file - but it should work on myspace

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.