G4 clean install help

P

PreacherOfSin

I am a newb to macs. I just got a G4 Dual 1 GHz (mirrored-drive doors) on ebay and it came with the HD wiped clean. now i need to install OS 9.

I dont have an Apple keyboard. I have a normal usb keyboard and mouse plugged in. I got the cd in the drive, which I had to put in by manually opening the door with the emergency release (there is no eject button on the drive... brilliant). I tried to boot w/ the CD (holding the C key)... nothing.

The keyboard does not even seem to be responding (Num lock does not light up, etc.)

Please help end my pain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Have you tried the F12 function key? It is assigned the task of opening and closing the CD/DVD tray on third-party keyboards which are missing a dedicated Eject key.

It might not work at start up if your keyboard requires drivers to be loaded to be recognized.

OP
P

PreacherOfSin

I thought of the F12 key as well, but I don't even think the boot process gets far enough to allow me to use a 3rd-party keyboard. Thanks for the suggestion though. :teen:

A friend of mine has an Apple keyboard, I will take my rig over there and see if it makes a difference. I will post an update if this works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I never tried a 3rd party keyboard on my Mac, but even on the original Apple keyboard the NUM-lock doesn't light up. It does light up though when I connect the Apple keyboard to a PC.

Another hint:
To eject the drive's tray, press the mouse button (the left one if you have a 2 button mouse) while booting.
Then put in the CD, and after a little moment, it should boot from the CD (if the CD is bootable, of course)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have a nice Logitech USB keyboard hooked up to my G4 Tower. It will not boot the Mac from the a CD by holding down the C key. I have to use my stock Apple Keyboard for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.