iTunes server / Apple TV / Network storage

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The scenario I would like to achieve:

Centralized server that will:
A. Store my iTunes music Library and 600 + movies
B. Stream the same to my computers and to at least 2 different A/V systems
C. Be able to access an iTunes CoverFlow or Front Row type interface on the TV screen to browse through the movies
D. Stream this Library to my PS3 at one location.
E. Allow each individual user to sync their iPhone/iPod on their own Mac without having to directly connect them to the server
F. Allow for back up of my Macs - preferably bootable backups - can OS X even be booted from a network drive/partition?

Am sure there's more, but that's what I can think of right now.

Have pretty much figured out I'll probably need an Apple TV or maybe a mini for connection to one of the TV's.

I have looked at NAS, TC, Apple TV, FireFly and think I'm more confused now than when I started looking.

I do have available my last homebuilt box (and currently unused) with RAID 0, 1 & 0+1 capability on it. It has XP Pro on it and maybe an old version of Mepis (just don't remember, def have not touched Linux since I bought my Mac).

Surely, some of you are doing this out there already. What setups are you using and is all of what I want even possible at this time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
The easiest way to do this is to set up a file server on your network, then go into iTunes and set you library as the location of the server on your network. Then iTunes will act just as you want (as if all the files were locally stored on your computer, this should include syncing). Not sure how to stream to the PS3, I haven't quite figured this out short of buying Medialink and running that on the server.

And once you have a file server you will of course be able to back up your Macs to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.