Please Help Me Out I Do Not Know Where Are My Webpage Files

Reaction score
Hello!
For some how that I do not know I have not been able to post on my website. It seems that I do not have access anymore to the webpage, however the page is still there. I cannot post, edit etc...When I click on the iweb it redirects me to a new one but my pre existent does not appear. Please, could you help me???? IF I AM NOT CLEAR , PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK ME MORE DETAILS...
:* Thanks, Debora

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You are not making much sense. It sounds like you are talking about two different things. So...

When you start iWeb, does it bring up your web content for editing, or is it asking you to start from scratch?

If the problem is posting to an external hosting service such as .Mac or other hosting provider, name it.

OP
D
Reaction score
no, they asked me to start from the scratch. The website is still there, but I can not edit or post...I do not even know where are the files anymore, I know they are in my computer because I had found last week but I do not know to get back them. I am sorry for my ignorance but I am new in the mac world and also in web pages in general...this is the link of my page...could you help me ....please. Thanks in advance, debora
http://web.mac.com/debireis

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry again...the problem here is from both --trying to write in English that is not my first language and also because I do not understand quite well web language. Computers to me as like TV..I just know to turn in and on...but, please..i can explain more if you would like. thanks again, debora

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
It sounds to me that you have somehow lost the original file you created. You need to figure out if the file that iWeb uses is still existing.

Open a Finder window to your home folder.
Open the Library folder within that.
Open the Application Support folder.
Open the iWeb folder within there.

So; username->Library->Application Support->iWeb.

In that folder should be a file named Domain or perhaps Domain.sites2 as it is for me. If you do not see such a file there, then use Spotlight to search for the word Domain and if it exists, it will be listed under the Documents group.

An alternative in Spotlight is to search for the string DomainState.archive which will be contained in the Domain file. You could then click on Show All in Spotlight and a list will come up and you could click on the little round i icon to the right of the file name to find the path of your Domain file.

If you find the file, this Apple link (assuming iWeb 1.1 or newer) says you can double click a Domain file to make it the default file opened when opening iWeb. I should think that opening via the Spotlight listing would do the same thing.

If your Mac is set to another language, perhaps the names above will need some translation from you to understand. I'm not sure as I've only used English.

I've made some assumptions; First you haven't done a complete reinstall of OS X since making that web page, second you are using the same account name and computer as when you made the original file, third you didn't delete things on purpose or by accident.

I have on occasion seen people complain that they have lost there iWeb work by unknown means. I'm not sure they ever got it back, so you might not. This is why backing up are important. If you are using OS X 10.5 (Leopard) than I suggest you buy an external drive for use with Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I noticed that some of your images are tilted. Assuming you are using iPhoto, you can correct their orientation in iPhoto and then when you bring the photo to iWeb, it will be correctly set. For the correct messed up photos, I think you'd have to drag the corrected version over the incorrect version of iWeb.

OP
D
Reaction score
I found the file, however a message that the file could not be opened appeared. Now, I tried to click on the file again just to copy the message and nothing happened...no message at all neither the file was opened.

It sounds to me that you have somehow lost the original file you created. You need to figure out if the file that iWeb uses is still existing.

Open a Finder window to your home folder.
Open the Library folder within that.
Open the Application Support folder.
Open the iWeb folder within there.

So; username->Library->Application Support->iWeb.

In that folder should be a file named Domain or perhaps Domain.sites2 as it is for me. If you do not see such a file there, then use Spotlight to search for the word Domain and if it exists, it will be listed under the Documents group.

An alternative in Spotlight is to search for the string DomainState.archive which will be contained in the Domain file. You could then click on Show All in Spotlight and a list will come up and you could click on the little round i icon to the right of the file name to find the path of your Domain file.

If you find the file, this Apple link (assuming iWeb 1.1 or newer) says you can double click a Domain file to make it the default file opened when opening iWeb. I should think that opening via the Spotlight listing would do the same thing.

If your Mac is set to another language, perhaps the names above will need some translation from you to understand. I'm not sure as I've only used English.

I've made some assumptions; First you haven't done a complete reinstall of OS X since making that web page, second you are using the same account name and computer as when you made the original file, third you didn't delete things on purpose or by accident.

I have on occasion seen people complain that they have lost there iWeb work by unknown means. I'm not sure they ever got it back, so you might not. This is why backing up are important. If you are using OS X 10.5 (Leopard) than I suggest you buy an external drive for use with Time Machine.

OP
D
Reaction score
Preceding this message is another message that states
The index.xml file is missing.

I find this odd since I am looking right at it. Do you have any further ideas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This might be a permissions problem so I'm going to suggest you try fixing that first via the most common suggestion.

Open the Disk Utility application in the Applications/Utilities folder.
Select the drive name, perhaps "Macintosh HD".
Click on the "Repair Permissions" button near the bottom.
Once complete, try double clicking on the Domain.sites file.

This Apple link talks about the Repair Permissions action a little but perhaps deeper than your interest in it.

If the above does not work, I'll describe a more involved way to fix the permissions for that file, which is really a folder.

OP
D
Reaction score
I've tried what you told me and the same message appears. Could you tell me more...I really appreciate what you have done. Thanks...

Once I fix this problem with iweb I will ask you opinion regarding my pictures...thanks so much...debi

OP
D
Reaction score
also, the iweb has been quitted unnexpectdly since at the moement I try to do something such as to open the domain for example.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Next up you are going to try to fix the permissions more directly.

Right (or control) click on the Domain.sites file.
Select "Get Info".
Click the diamond pointer to the left of where it says "Sharing & Permissions" so that it points down and displays your user name and other names.
You may have to click on the gold lock to allow your self to edit the permissions. You want the lock to appear unlocked and the names will be black instead of grayed out.
Click on your username to highlight that line.
If it says 'Read Only', set it to 'Read & Write'.
If it says 'Read & Write', then set it to 'Read Only', wait a few moments and then reset it to 'Read & Write'.
(P.S. this affects permissions of the files within that special folder too.)

Now try opening the file again by double clicking it.

The two attached images display the detail you are looking for in both OS 10.4 (Tiger) and 10.5 (Leopard), in that order.

iWeb Permissions on 10.4 002.png

iWeb Domain Info 002.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Other ideas.

Copy the Domains file somewhere else or duplicate it.
Open iWeb and create a new project and save it.
Close iWeb.
Double click the backed up Domain file.

Or...

Remove the com.apple.iWeb.plist from your Library/Preferences folder, then double click that Domain file.

As you can guess, I'm running out of ideas.

You mentioned iWeb said that the index.xml was missing. Are you sure it was there. Control click on the Domain file and choose "Show Package Contents". Look for a file named "index.xml.gz". Remember I'm running iWeb 2.0.3, so that may explain why my index.xml file has the .gz on the end of it.

Lastly, please let me know the versions of OS X and iWeb you are using if you expect further help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also, the iweb has been quitted unnexpectdly since at the moement I try to do something such as to open the domain for example.

This is not sounding good.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi There!

I am sorry for not replying you sooner. My version is 10.4.11 Mac OS X.
I think I have problems with the software iweb because always when I am trying to take any action opening domain files the iweb quits unexpectedly ...
Moreover, it seems that file that I am trying to open is not that one that contains all my stuff since it is just 164 kb on disk (?????)...
When I tried to copy and paste on my desktop what appeared was one empty and asked me to start a new one. It is so confusing...

...supposely I have lost my files...What do I do from now? what is the best way to rebuilt it?

Sorry...but it is very frustrating not being able to even find the files...

OP
D
Reaction score
I found one file called domain.sites with 1.59 GB but when I click on appears a message telling that the file can not be opened. I tried to duplicate but it does not allow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This still sounds like a permissions problem to me. You need to list the errors or actions occurring when you try to duplicate that file or open it in iWeb. By the way, which version of iWeb are you using??

I suspect the 1.59GB file is the one you are looking for, based on the size of your site.

Have you renamed your home folder by any chance?

I wrote a script that can find all the domain files under your username and tell me the permission information. It would send me those details. See your mail here for details.

OP
D
Reaction score
hehehehheh...for sure the 1.59gb file is the file heheheh I got the chance clicking on show package content of the file and appeared all my stuff...the problem now is how to move back to a place that I can open and redirect again to IWEB
my iweb version is 1.1.2
I think I had changed the name of the file, removing from domain.sites the word sites...in one of my 1000000000 attempts to solve the problem, but yesterday I renamed again to the original file name.

If the problem is permission...I have done what you said but nothing happens...do you thing does it have to do with login/password system?....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.