Help setting up ethernet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I've been trying to set up my Mum's eMac for the past hour... but I can't even connect to the router, let alone the internet! I know the subnet mask and I know the router address and the IPs between 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.0.199 are enabled... but it won't connect automatically and it won't connect manually...
The cable is connected properly and everyone else on the network is connected fine. I can't even access the router by typing in the router address in Safari...

Where am I going wrong?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What brand and Model is her router? Does it have status lights on the router? Does the light for that port light that the EMac is plugged into?

Also what version of OSX is on that Emac? Are you sure the Ethernet cable is wired correctly and working?

OP
Leukeh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Sorry, been kinda busy.

The router is a DLink - the status light corresponding to the port is not on when the eMac is plugged in. So I assume it's a problem with the cable... when I get one, I'll try a different cable and report back...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For sure report back. I have seen a few posts here and there where some router would not work with an older Mac with no light on the router when the cable was plugged in. I have a couple of older Dlinks here and they work with my old iMacs. I hope it's the cable. If not do check the RJ45 jack on the EMac. I have seen some of the similar iMacs where someone crammed in a RJ45 plug and bent pins in the Jack on the Mac. Just bending them back solved it and got them a light.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
has this ever worked? Does it work when you use a static IP? Does it work when you boot off the install DVD and go to test utilities?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.