Please Help remotely control a linux machine from macbook pro

Reaction score
Hi, I tried ssh to remotely control linux pc at my working desk, but there is no graphic interface, :Grimmace: any freeware I could use in the mac to remotely control my liunx pc or how do I add the graphic interface using ssh?O:)

And also I would like to set up the downloading files to a specified directory, rather than the desktop by default?

Many thanks.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
VNC.

Downloading of files from what program?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And also I would like to set up the downloading files to a specified directory, rather than the desktop by default?

Safari - Preferences - General tab

You'll find "Save downloaded files to:"

This is where you'll set the default download location.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi, Dysfunction, bobtomay,

Thanks a lot for your input. I have downloaded vnc and set the default dowload location.:) I input the same server address in the built-in vpn as that in the ssh, ssh is working without graphic interface, the built-in vpn got the error" The server did not respond. Please verify the server address and
try again".:Oops: I will try to get the vpn address from the uni support.

smilemoveon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
Hi, I tried ssh to remotely control linux pc at my working desk, but there is no graphic interface, :Grimmace: any freeware I could use in the mac to remotely control my liunx pc or how do I add the graphic interface using ssh?O:)

Many thanks.:)

Instead of tunneling through vnc, you could try NoMachine's NX client and server setup
http://www.nomachine.com/

All you have to do is install it on your linux server and then install the client on your mac. When you try and connect to your linux server it will ask you for your username and password, then connect to you linux box over ssh. It will bring up a desktop from your linux box in a window on your mac.

I don't know how they do it, but it is surprisingly responsive. I use it fairly often for connecting to my workstation from home. I have no issues working on my remote machine for hours at a time. The nice thing about NoMachine is that it works over ssh, so that you will not have to have your sysadmins at the Uni add any firewall rules to let you through.

Cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
You may need to tunnel through ssh.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10128

http://www.u.arizona.edu/consult/macx-tunnel.html

You will also likely need to start VNC on the linux box :)

I still have not got the vpn server address, as the IT support in our uni did not know and cc my email query to other colleauges to ask anybody know my query, the department support said no way. These IT support drove me mad.:Angry:

vnc rpm could not be relocated when I tried to install it in my home directory to skip the sysadmins at the Uni.

I also tried cisco vpn, it is always not connected when I tried every server address I know(including the ssh server), I could not see I can go any further without the correct vpn address.

GroovyLinuxGuy said:
Instead of tunneling through vnc, you could try NoMachine's NX client and server setup
http://www.nomachine.com/

As NoMachine works over ssh, I think it is a possible way to get it work as I can ssh successfuly over terminal and to skip the vpn server address, please correct me if I am wrong.:Blushing: now I am stuck in installing the server on my linux machine. Please anybody got an idea or share your experience.:)

my linux is CentOS, I am new to linux as to mac, not sure which NXserver I should download, I do not have root permission, so I tried to install it in my home directory.

I downloaded NX Enterprise Desktop server for Linux Evaluation_x86_64,
tar xvzf the 3 packages.targz
/nxnode --install --prefix=$HOME, got the error message"can not create configuration file", still the same error message even without "--prefix=$HOME"

/nxserver --install, got the error message" Error: Output:/bin/bash; useradd:command not found.
Error: can not add user:nx to the system."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
I still have not got the vpn server address, as the IT support in our uni did not know and cc my email query to other colleauges to ask anybody know my query, the department support said no way. These IT support drove me mad.:Angry:

vnc rpm could not be relocated when I tried to install it in my home directory to skip the sysadmins at the Uni.

I also tried cisco vpn, it is always not connected when I tried every server address I know(including the ssh server), I could not see I can go any further without the correct vpn address.

As NoMachine works over ssh, I think it is a possible way to get it work as I can ssh successfuly over terminal and to skip the vpn server address, please correct me if I am wrong.:Blushing: now I am stuck in installing the server on my linux machine. Please anybody got an idea or share your experience.:)

my linux is CentOS, I am new to linux as to mac, not sure which NXserver I should download, I do not have root permission, so I tried to install it in my home directory.

I downloaded NX Enterprise Desktop server for Linux Evaluation_x86_64,
tar xvzf the 3 packages.targz
/nxnode --install --prefix=$HOME, got the error message"can not create configuration file", still the same error message even without "--prefix=$HOME"

/nxserver --install, got the error message" Error: Output:/bin/bash; useradd:command not found.
Error: can not add user:nx to the system."

I am not to familiar with CentOS/Redhat systems, since I wouldn't toucht them with a 10 foot pole, so I don't know that I can answer your question other than to say that you will need root permission to install NoMachine. You will have to at the least be able to create the nx user. If your IT department can or won't help you there is probably a reason for it. You may want to see what the reason is before you start getting mad at them.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.