Parallels + Fusion???

Reaction score
I'm using Parallels to run my Windows XP partition (Boot Camp). I wanted to test VMWare Fusion, since I'm reading good reviews about it. Do I have to uninstall Parallels first or can I have both use the same Boot Camp partition?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm using Parallels to run my Windows XP partition (Boot Camp). I wanted to test VMWare Fusion, since I'm reading good reviews about it. Do I have to uninstall Parallels first or can I have both use the same Boot Camp partition?

You can run both (but not at the same time). You don't have to uninstall Parallels first. BTW, both have had good reviews. Tune in to their respective user forums and read the feedback, problems, solutions, etc.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Worked fine. My first impression was that Fusion is a bit faster and more stable than Parallels...

Reaction score
FUSION Worries

I am a new user, too, and am thinking about Fusion but have some concerns:

I have MBP, standard issue, and once I install fusion then I install my XP OS, right? Now, I think the disks I have don't have SP 2, so once I install XP, do I go onto the MS website (guess I have to install IE first!!!) and download and install all the updates? Then...install other programs?

Also, how do I figure out if I have enough HD space. Don't know how to access that info on a Mac.

And then, do you have to worry about viruses on your mac because you have windows installed???

And are there any tricks or "watch out for's" when installing XP?

Help appreciated.

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm no expert, my here are my two cents:

I installed Windows first via Bootcamp. If you don't have Leopard, you should install Fusion first and at one point it will tell you to install Windows.

IE comes pre-installed with XP, so you don't have to worry about that. Just make sure you have all the drivers to connect to the internet and do all the updates at Windows Updates including SP2. (I had trouble connecting with my 802.11n wifi using Windows, so had to connect with the Ethernet cable, and then install a fix.)

Fusion also lets you install Kaspersky anti-virus which is one of the best out there. I'd recomend you do that, since you are still subject to Windows viruses. I don't think it can affect your Mac partition but still...

Good luck.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am a new user, too, and am thinking about Fusion but have some concerns:

I have MBP, standard issue, and once I install fusion then I install my XP OS, right? Now, I think the disks I have don't have SP 2, so once I install XP, do I go onto the MS website (guess I have to install IE first!!!) and download and install all the updates? Then...install other programs?

Also, how do I figure out if I have enough HD space. Don't know how to access that info on a Mac.

And then, do you have to worry about viruses on your mac because you have windows installed???

And are there any tricks or "watch out for's" when installing XP?

Help appreciated.

You don't have to install SP2 to XP in order to run it in Fusion. That only applies to a Boot Camp installation. Installing XP also installs IE - you don't install it separately. Once XP is installed to Fusion you can download and install all the patches, security updates and whatever. However, you might want to wait a bit since XP SP3 should be released sometime next week. SP3 includes all previous updates and also SP1 and 2.

Figuring out how much HDD space you have is easy. Just double click your Macintosh HD icon and read the info on the bottom pane.

And yes, once XP is installed you need to worry about virus', malware, spyware, and all the nasty stuff Windows is famous for. :Evil:

As far as installing XP in Fusion is concerned, it's not much different from doing it on a Windows machine. Nothing special, just the usual MS BS. :Angry-Tongue:

Regards.

Reaction score
All of the above is correct - but one thing: you don't have to worry about Windows viruses infecting the rest of your Mac if they're on a virtual machine. You can install any antivirus/antimalware program you like. I use the free AVG, but there are numerous choices.

It's all much simpler than it appears once you actually get into it, believe me ...

Cheers

Reaction score
>> Fusion also lets you install Kaspersky anti-virus which is one of the best out there. I'd recomend you do that, since you are still subject to Windows viruses. I don't think it can affect your Mac partition but still... <<

One of the neat things about virtual computing is that once your virtual Windows is all set up, it saves as a single file. You can duplicate that file and should the active one acquire a virus, just trash it an bring on the backup version (but back it up before using!!). It's like finding that your computer has a virus, blowing it up and having an identical machine all ready to fire up and replace it.

John F

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.