iBook G4 runs as slow as my PC!!

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to MacForums, and am having some trouble with my mac :(
I have an iBook G4 which I bought in the summer of 05. I have been using constantly ever since, and rarely turn it off (I usually just put it to sleep). It used to run perfectly, but lately its been running terribly slow. So slow that I usually have to wait at least 30 seconds to open a new internet browser or to switch between tabs on safari.
I have an 80 GB hard drive with 20 GB free, and 512 MB RAM. I don't think that the issue is with my RAM, because my computer used to run perfectly fine.
I have tried running programs such as Omni Disk Sweeper, Monolingual, and Mac Sweeper, but none of these ever seem to do anything for me. Does anybody have any suggestions for what I can do to get my Mac running as if it were brand new again?
Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

Which OS are you using?

You may want to try OnyX or Mainmenu You can delete caches, logs and run maintenance scripts.

Also, use Disk Utility and check the SMART status of the HDD. (select the top HDD and it will display the info at the bottom of the window) And while you're there, might as well Repair permissions with Disk Utility.

512 mb of ram really isn't enough for OSX. If you can post some info (processor speed, screen size) for your iBook, we can see what the max is and some good sites to look at.

If you're running Tiger, you can use Anacron. For older OS's, there's a link on their website.

"Anacron runs the periodic daily, weekly and monthly tasks on your Mac even if the machine (a laptop, for example) spends much of its time asleep or switched-off. Anacron silently checks when you reboot and every sixty minutes while the computer is running to see if the various periodic scripts are overdue, and runs them if necessary. The advantage of Anacron over many other solutions to this issue is that it runs as a proper Unix background process, requires no user intervention, and uses the regular periodic scripts."

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm running Tiger, and have a 1.42 GHz processor. I'm not positive about the screen, but I'm pretty sure its 15".
Also I just checked the SMART status, which is verified.
This may be a dumb question, but what is SMART status by the way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.