Display Freezes and eventually the computer

OP
D
Reaction score
isntall tiger i bot up and it opens with just the desktop background. So i bot again and 'you have to restart you computer' comes up :S This is when i say 'Yay' ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
I'm thinking the problem is with the video card. I remember someone had a similar problem were Safe mode would work, but a regular boot wouldn't. It seems in Safe mode, aspects of the video card, aren't loaded and the problem wouldn't occur. Even the AHT would pass.

It would explain the Kernel Panic, why the Leopard Graphics update made it worse and of course the original problem to begin with.
Also, both OS's are having problems, which would seem to rule out any software conflicts. There is also a mention in the log about "GFX0: family specific matching fails", and "NVChannel(GL): Graphics channel exception! status = 0xffff info32 = 0xd = GR: SW Notify Error" Which seems to me, to indicate the video card.

I hate to say it, but it might be time to have it looked at. :(

OP
D
Reaction score
Well as i said to the guys in the Apple store, take a look at it there is a problem, they said no need your computer is fine, is just the software. So i guess i have to go there again.
thanks a lot for your help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, no one can say we didn't try... ;)

Considering it wouldn't even finish installing, without having a kernel panic, I doubt they can blame the software anymore.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi there mate , i booked an apointment with an Apple store in 2 days to chekc it out . Somehow in the meantime i managed to open my computer, but it wont let me do any settings on it or something and it asks me for admi. name and pass, when i enter the info it sais that is incorect. So i can download any updates from the internet or something .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can use the install disk to reset the password.
No crashes yet??

OP
D
Reaction score
Well sometimes it opens with the 'you have to restart' message, but sometimes it just starts without asking me for a pass , and i chagne the password and it stills says its wrong. A bit confusing.

OP
D
Reaction score
I went to the Apple store, they opened it with another disk with tiger on and it did the same problem, so it wasnt the system. So i left it there and they are going to check the Graphics card, the Airport for some reason, and the intel core something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the update. I knew they would finally see it my way. ;)

Is it under warranty at all?

OP
D
Reaction score
No its not under warranty :( it expired 6 months ago.
I hope the problem is not the intel duo core processor because that costs like 350-400 english pounds :S

OP
D
Reaction score
Hello again i just got my computer back from apple, everything looks fine. But... my computer sounds like an airplane thats about to take off. Please dont tell me i have to take it back again :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello again i just got my computer back from apple, everything looks fine. But... my computer sounds like an airplane thats about to take off. Please dont tell me i have to take it back again :S
Just saw your post...
How's everything working?

OP
D
Reaction score
Great :) no glitches in game, and the display doesn't freeze :D
they replaced my graphics card .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great :) no glitches in game, and the display doesn't freeze :D
they replaced my graphics card .
I really need to get a job at Apple...;D
Great to hear you're up and running again!

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have the same display freeze problem on my macbook pro 2.16 (2006).
I've been having it for a long time but didn't bother to research where the problem came from... :\
How much did it cost you to change the graphic card?
Your computer sounds like an airplane because the fans are at top speed. The apple guys probably forgot to connect the fans back when they reassembled your computer! The reaction of the fans in that case is to go full speed all time! Anyway, are they still alive after 2 years?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.