New Ad Format Coming to Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
schweb, I understand that ads are needed to keep this site free for everyone, but couldn't you switch to a different ad system? Nearly everyone has expressed their distaste for the current system. Why not place that ad between the last post and the "quick reply" box? It would almost certainly be more acceptable then the ad right below the first post.

I think this is an excellent suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think this is an excellent suggestion.
We'll be sure to pass that along as part of our initial feedback.

However I'm sure almost just as many members would say that they much prefer it at the top and start complaining if it was moved around ;)

But thanks for the constructive input!!

Reaction score
The ads won't lose revenue from people installing ad block. I can basically guarantee you that those people installing ad block are probably the least likely to click on the ads in the first place.

We also know from stats that the huge majority of ad clicks comes from people who are not logged in.

I am not sure if you are using one of the vB hacks or if you built your own, but I have the same ad layout and I have it set up to only show ads to guests.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Hmm, you might be onto something. These new ads have to pay for these coming features somehow. O:)

Any update on possible new features? It's been two weeks

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I never promised a set date. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I was just hoping for a status update not so much details :) is it in the works?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I was just hoping for a status update not so much details :) is it in the works?

If it wasn't in the works, we wouldn't have mentioned it. ;)

But like most things there will some things developed sooner, some later. There is definitely a product roadmap for MF.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Paid memberships probably would not do much, I mean usually people just join this site to ask a question then leave. There may be several people who would like to have it, but then what's really the purpose but for a handful of people?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Paid memberships probably would not do much, I mean usually people just join this site to ask a question then leave. There may be several people who would like to have it, but then what's really the purpose but for a handful of people?

You might be surprised. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
I must have missed something - what happened to the ads?

I don't have AdBlock and they're gone on my computer...

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The staff wasn't informed, if indeed the ads will be removed. So we can't confirm it. But this morning, I did notice that some posts appear to have the ads embedded inside random posts. It's currently being looked into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
The staff wasn't informed, if indeed the ads will be removed. So we can't confirm it. But this morning, I did notice that some posts appear to have the ads embedded inside random posts. It's currently being looked into.

iWhat, Thanks! Noel

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The forum has a new ad format now. The in-line ads are now going to be displayed in the first and third posts of threads that are over 2 weeks old. When a thread is replied to that has been inactive for over 2 weeks, it will no longer display the in-line ads until the thread goes inactive for 2 weeks. Stickies will not include in-line ads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
^^ Excellent compromise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black and MacBooky I guess
I don't get why this site would need to pay for any thing people really don't care about how good the forum is I just care about what kind of information I get and learn from the Forum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I don't get why this site would need to pay for any thing people really don't care about how good the forum is I just care about what kind of information I get and learn from the Forum
Bandwidth ain't free you know!

especially when you have 30000 active members and tons more people who just browse...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Bandwidth ain't free you know!

especially when you have 30000 active members and tons more people who just browse...

It costs money to just have a website up on the www too, right?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ads gone wild!

what's up with the new inline ads?

i'm seeing them pop up inside of people's posts now, on more than just page one too.

see the attached example - red outline mine for emphasis around ads, notice they are inside posts one and three on the second page of a thread.

Attachments

• mac_ad_err.JPG
    mac_ad_err.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 24

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.