Best Protection for Macbook Pros

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 7200 RPM 250 HD, 2 gig Ram, 2.4 Gig processor... IPHONE 3g
What is the best kinds of protection for 15.4" macbook pros aside from just being careful with them. I've seen something somewhere about some kind of sticky plastic protectant for where your wrists sit, and for the keyboard? Also there is a huge amount of cases and sleeves, but are they very effective in their goals? Most of them look so thin it seems like the only single thing they'd be useful for is protecting from scratches. Is there anything with a little more protection for travel. I'm extremely careful with my notebook, but I take it with me EVERYWHERE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Hi-Def/2GB RAM/250GB HD // iPhone 3Gs 16GB // iPod Classic 80GB
I have a Tom Bihn Empire Builder case, and it's amazing. The laptop carrier alone, the Brain Cell is a great sleeve, and the Empire Builder gives extra protection and carry capabilities. I travelled to Utah from the New York City with the Empire Builder as my carry-on, and it held my 17" MBP, the powerpod, two magazines, three books, my iPod... and that was in the main compartment. Add in the outside pouches and it was a real win across the board. (One of the front pockets is perfect for airplane tickets, for example.)

You can,as noted, get the Brain Cell by itself and use it as a sleeve inside other bags; the one benefit of the other Tom Bihn bags is the locking mechanism for the sleeve. But these are really well made bags, and I recommend heartily.

Reaction score
There is that invishield stuff I think your talking about and it does stop any scratches for certain. I have it on my shuffle that I take to the gym but its really glossy so I am not sure I would want it all over my MBP. As far as bags I love my Timbuk2 messenger bag. Its well built and the internal laptop case is well padded. I find its more comfy when I am cruising longer distances, and you can customize it to make it exactly what you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I got a techshell hard case that snaps onto my MBP...i really like it...it gets scratched up but they are so small it is barely noticeable, and I'd rather have them on there then on the laptop itself. That is all it really protects...but it also turns my MBP a black MBP :) Also...I just use a cheap $20 slipskin from best buy to slide the laptop in while traveling...it adds extra protection and padding, and most of all, blocks the ports from getting dirt, etc in them. Then I just put it my notebook backpack or briefcase

OP
Corbri
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 7200 RPM 250 HD, 2 gig Ram, 2.4 Gig processor... IPHONE 3g
What about those platic sticky things i've heard people talk about that protect where your wrists sit and the keyboard?

Reaction score
What about those platic sticky things i've heard people talk about that protect where your wrists sit and the keyboard?

I personally think you are over concerned about this the MBP isn't that easy to scratch in my experience. And the wrist rest part your talking about I have seen them for the MB because of yellowing. I have used MBP's for years and have yet to need a keyboard/wrist cover and they look brand new. Same for the exterior to be honest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.
After years oof heavy travel, I'm stickeng (before with my HP's, now with MBP) to soft slipskin (only when traveling) + a really good bag (always).A big bag for everyday use (when I carry a lot of stuf), a small backpak or smaller bag for travelling (depends how much stuff I lug around). Samsonite and Quadra are favorite brands ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
Checkout RadTech for idea's on how to protect any Mac. Just remember to keep food and liquids away from your Mac, and you will always be ahead of the game.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.