Would this version of XP work on boot camp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
I found an old version of XP (probably around the 2004 time) just sitting in a box in my room, and I was wondering if it would work on boot camp?

Looking at it, it says DELL, so it is a dell version of XP? Would it work, or is using this against some law/rule?

Thanks

Reaction score
I believe it would be breaking the license agreement with DELL and Microsoft as it is intended only to be installed on the Dell that the disc came with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If it's a restore disc, then it won't really work. However, if it's a full version of XP with Dell branding, then it should work just fine, as long as you no longer have that copy installed on the machine it came from.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I found an old version of XP (probably around the 2004 time) just sitting in a box in my room, and I was wondering if it would work on boot camp?

Looking at it, it says DELL, so it is a dell version of XP? Would it work, or is using this against some law/rule?

Thanks

It would probably work OK if it's a full install version rather than a restore disk, however, since it's an OEM copy of XP it's only licensed for the Dell machine it came with.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
well i don't own any dell computers any more,(last one died on me a couple of months ago), and it is a full version. and it looks like they used MSFT verification number, not a special number for dell.

So if I install via boot camp and it doesn't work, then I can just erase it, right? No harm, no foul?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
well i don't own any dell computers any more,(last one died on me a couple of months ago), and it is a full version. and it looks like they used MSFT verification number, not a special number for dell.

So if I install via boot camp and it doesn't work, then I can just erase it, right? No harm, no foul?

You can always remove WinXP or Vista easy enough from your Mac after installing it. However, what you would be doing by installing a Dell OEM copy of XP on your Mac is against Microsoft's EULA for OEM versions of its operating systems.

Let your conscience be your guide.

Regards.

Reaction score
It would have to have the service pack 2 (SP2) on the disc and im pretty sure it doesn't.

"Important: You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc (Service Pack 2
is required for Windows XP installations). Do not use an upgrade version of Windows
and do not install an earlier version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to
SP2. Use only 32-bit versions of Windows."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.