new here having Mac troubles

Reaction score
i recently got a mac g4 tower from my dad who got it from his friend the specs are 1.4 Ghz processor 1.5 GB mmory but the problem is it keeps freezing restarting randomly and an error that tells me to restart the machine can anyone help me?

Reaction score
Decent enough machine, not a barn burner, but not bad! You are going to need a System Installation disk. Do you know what Mac OS it is running? Is there any pattern at all to the freezes? What does the error message say?
One other thing; welcome to the forum!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like what you're experiencing is what is known as a "Kernel panic". It is usually indicative of a severe fault, like a hardware problem, filesystem corruption or damage to the OS install. Assuming it's not a hardware problem, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to do a clean install of the OS from the system discs.

OP
J
Reaction score
that sound like a good idea i might try reinstalling everything oh im runnin os x 10.4.11 there doesnt seem to be a pattern i thought it was a program i installed but im not sure oh well i try reinstalling than ill post if everything seems fine but not tonight thanks for the help

OP
J
Reaction score
i rebooted everything and it hasnt restarted yet but now im having video problems i put them in quicktime no pic but sound put it in vlc and it plays but sluggishly same with mplayer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You need Apple Hardware Test version 2.0.2 as you arew experiencing hardware and/or software problems. See if that came with the machine and give it a run. AHT examines the logic board, memory, media storage and graphics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
did you recently buy ram? Might be a memory problem you are having

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Latest rev. Macbook in white :)
Actually sounds like a memory problem to me too, maybe som memory handled the wrong way?

OP
J
Reaction score
i put memory in it when i first got it but it only started running videos slowly after i reinstalled os x 4

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.