Mass renaming of files...

Reaction score
Is there any way in OS X 10.5 to rename several files at once? For instance, in Vista I can just select all the files, rename the first and it'll automatically rename each one after with (2), (3), (4) and so on. I know about a better finder renamer but it's not free for more than 10 files at once. Any way to do this natively in OS X?

Reaction score
Automator is the answer. Renaming files is done with the Library, Rename Finder Items.
Automator is Teh Bomb™!

OP
Nicoya
Reaction score
I opened Automator (which I've never used) and input all the files (roughly 1000) and now I'm lost. I selected Rename Finder Items but now what do I do. Where can I tell it what to rename my files?

Reaction score
Automator is serious medicine, you need to play with a test folder of not important stuff. Double click "Rename Finder Items" you will be rewarded with a dialog box that will give you a ton of options.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
automator may not rename your files in the order you think it will. beware!

i use "renamer4mac" it's so good, and i use it so often, i've added it to the top of my finder toolbar.

of course, it says it's not leopard compatible, but it's worth a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Namemangler gets my vote ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.