Am I Running at WiFi "n"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This will sound like a really silly question, but I have just purchased and set up an Airport Express base station. It is WiFi "n" capable. I checked my MBP, and it is set up for WiFi a/b/g/n. So, all the hardware capability seems to be there.

My MBP picks up the WiFi from my Airport Express just fine and I am off surfing the web.

The question is, am I running in WiFi "n"? Is there a simple way to tell? I opened Network Utility and it declares that my link speed is 130 Mbps, which I know is faster than WiFi "g" 's maximum 54 Mbps. So, it would appear that I am running WiFi "n". However, is there any place I can look that directly tells me which 802.11 variant the machine is using? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
hold "Option" while clicking on your Wireless icon on the top bar. If your transmit rate is 130, then it's n.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7 2.0 15" Hi-Res 8gb RAM, 500GB / 32GB iPhone 4. Apple TV 2G++++
I would say the fact it says 130Mbps is enough to tell you it must be using N. From my experience I have not seen another way to find it. Net Util is the place I would check.

Unless there is a 3rd Party app that will tell you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Not sure if there is something that will tell you "you are using 802.11n."

But, I know for sure that I am running on "n" and my link speed is 130Mbps in network monitor...

EDIT:
Wow.. all three of us posted at the same time...
when I option click airport in the menubar, my transmit rate is around 100

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7 2.0 15" Hi-Res 8gb RAM, 500GB / 32GB iPhone 4. Apple TV 2G++++
nputer: very true! as long as it is above 54mbps your on. It will be less the further away you get from your wireless router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB ram
Mine bounces between 117 and 130 what's up with that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
Mine bounces between 117 and 130 what's up with that?

probably due to interference (cordless phones, microwave...). Keep in mind the frequency wireless network runs at is susceptible to interference and it decreases performances. Try switching channel if it gets really bad, but 117-130Mbps is good!

Reaction score
This will sound like a really silly question, but I have just purchased and set up an Airport Express base station. It is WiFi "n" capable. I checked my MBP, and it is set up for WiFi a/b/g/n. So, all the hardware capability seems to be there.

My MBP picks up the WiFi from my Airport Express just fine and I am off surfing the web.

The question is, am I running in WiFi "n"? Is there a simple way to tell? I opened Network Utility and it declares that my link speed is 130 Mbps, which I know is faster than WiFi "g" 's maximum 54 Mbps. So, it would appear that I am running WiFi "n". However, is there any place I can look that directly tells me which 802.11 variant the machine is using? Thanks!

Got a question for you as I am considering purchasing a "N" wireless router. Did you notice a big speed increase in web surfing? I've heard quite a few folks say there is not a big difference, but was just wondering your experience thus far....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Or in my case, I'm hovering between 78 and 117.. but there's a brick wall between me and the base station

Reaction score
Mine is between 48 and 54. :(

But thats g for you. Anyone want to donate an n to my "cause" then feel free. ;D

But I have the same question. I am getting an backup HD soon. And I just dont know if I should get just the drive, and save money, or if there is a big enough difference, get the TC.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Been on 'n' for a year now. Haven't found anyplace that shows 'n' specifically, just the link speed which you've found.

I am curious, since I'm considering purchasing the TC.
Does the Apple Airport Extreme/Express allow you to go into it's settings via it's IP address and manually configure the settings - or does it only have that wizard everybody talks about?

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got a question for you as I am considering purchasing a "N" wireless router. Did you notice a big speed increase in web surfing? I've heard quite a few folks say there is not a big difference, but was just wondering your experience thus far....

Thanks everyone. With Apple's rep for a user friendly interface, I am surprised that it doesn't tell you directly. Oh well, no worries.

youthpastor, I didn't notice any big speed increase. 54 Mbps is pretty fast already, quite a bit faster than most people's internet link. Hence, it should not be noticeable.

I have "n" simply because I got an Airport Express, and it happens to provide "n". I wanted the portability of the Airport Express, not the "n"... I am delighted to have "n" - as an engineer, I always like better specs! - but what I really wanted was the ability to have a portable WiFi base station.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10

You might not notice a big difference between g and n if you are surfing your average web page. You will notice it if you are doing multiple downloads or a big download. Think of it as the difference between a garden hose and a firefighters hose. If you were to have a litre of water pour out of each, you wouldn't notice much change but change that litre to 100 litres and you would notice that it would take longer to get it through the garden hose (g) than the firehose (n)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
I like the look of the APE personally, looks better than anything out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Been on 'n' for a year now. Haven't found anyplace that shows 'n' specifically, just the link speed which you've found.

I am curious, since I'm considering purchasing the TC.
Does the Apple Airport Extreme/Express allow you to go into it's settings via it's IP address and manually configure the settings - or does it only have that wizard everybody talks about?

You can configure it manually. In fact, thats where you can view logs and current connections.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might not notice a big difference between g and n if you are surfing your average web page. You will notice it if you are doing multiple downloads or a big download. Think of it as the difference between a garden hose and a firefighters hose. If you were to have a litre of water pour out of each, you wouldn't notice much change but change that litre to 100 litres and you would notice that it would take longer to get it through the garden hose (g) than the firehose (n)

Cheers

how is this accurate? I mean:

i have a 6000kb/s connection at home. FIOS has up to 50Mb/s in the states...

now, if you have a G network vs an N network...realworld speeds of each we will say are around 26Mb/s for G, and 80 Mb/s for N.

i would assume for anyone with 25Mb/s or less connection, WIFI-N has nothing to offer internet browsing? Your not gonna get downloads faster just because you have N over a G, unless your bandwidth, and real world numbers exceed the average of what a G network offers, right?

Only file transfering betweem PCs, and range are beneficial at this point?

some confusion here i guess, i just wanna understand it right if im not already

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Cheers

I am not sure I agree. The limiting factor will be your internet link speed. Using your analogy above, it is the garden house. 802.11g and 802.11n are both firehoses compared to most people's internet link. Hence, no matter how fast you run your WiFi, I doubt you will notice any increase in browsing speed.

What you WILL notice a difference in as things like computer to computer file copies and the like... anything that is contained within your own home network. As soon as you involve the Internet though, it becomes the limiting factor (at least for most people anyway).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not sure I agree. The limiting factor will be your internet link speed. Using your analogy above, it is the garden house. 802.11g and 802.11n are both firehoses compared to most people's internet link. Hence, no matter how fast you run your WiFi, I doubt you will notice any increase in browsing speed.

What you WILL notice a difference in as things like computer to computer file copies and the like... anything that is contained within your own home network. As soon as you involve the Internet though, it becomes the limiting factor (at least for most people anyway).

i didnt think i was alone.

still that APE is super sex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10

Your right of course. I was basically pointing out the differences between the two. I probably could have used a much better example than internet downloads/average surfing. The computer to computer transfer is a much more realistic scenario. The theory still stands tho :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is typically more latency due to interference on wireless connections too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.