Quicktime Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4.
This is my first apple and im still learning the system. My question is can quicktime play wmv files? When i download and try to play them it says that it is a file that quicktime doesnt recognize. IS there something i can do to correct this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yes, you can install windows media player for mac.

It's available at microsofts mac site: mactopia.com

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4.
Aptmunich said:
Yes, you can install windows media player for mac.

It's available at microsofts mac site: mactopia.com

Ok cool. But there isnt a way to get quicktime to play them instead of downloading windows media player? Im curious because on my pc when i downloaded quicktime it became my default player and it played all media files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I dont think you can, you can use mplayer or something to play it, or you can always
use snapz pro by ambrosia software, play the wmv in windows media player, and use snapz pro to capture that area of the screen as a video and save that as a quicktime movie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Don't worry about WMP stealing your file associations, it can't do that unless you say it's ok. Besides, it's an apple computer, you think iTunes would let itself be bullied by windows media player on home territory? I think not ;)

I use it for my .wmv files, and that's all it is allowed to do...

Edit: I just checked, VLC will play .wmv files, but quicktime won't. So maybe just get VLC (which is useful anyway) and forget WMP...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Id say use mplayer, vlc lacks many features and is usually sorta buggy:mac:

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4.
Thanks for the input. Now that i have media player I have a question about that. How can i clear out the recent files. When i delete the file it still shows up in the player. I assume there is an option but i cant seem to find it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
I don't think there is an option to clear the recent list. If you trash "Windows Media Player Prefs" it will clear the list.

Your User Home/Library/Preferences/Windows Media Player Prefs
Or just do a find for the file and drag it from the results window to the trash.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4.
immdb said:
I don't think there is an option to clear the recent list. If you trash "Windows Media Player Prefs" it will clear the list.

Your User Home/Library/Preferences/Windows Media Player Prefs
Or just do a find for the file and drag it from the results window to the trash.

Thanks for the help. Its goint to take me awhile to get use to this whole mac thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.