How much RAM for Photoshop under Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook PRO, iPhone 3G
I have a Macbook PRO with 2 GB RAM.

I use XP/Parallels with 512mb RAM dedicated to it when it's running. I use Photoshop CS2 and Illustrator CS2 (Windows versions because Adobe won't let me "upgrade" to Mac versions - I'd have to buy new full versions :Angry: ).

Should I be allocating more RAM to Windows, via Parallels, to allow them to run better/faster/more stable?

Also, should I keep OS X programs to a minimum while I'm running PS and ILL under Parallels?

- Mike

Reaction score
Well, for optimum performance with those programs, your best bet is to run them straight on Boot Camp.

But if you want to continue using Parallels, then I think for better performance, put 1gig for XP.

Mac does a nice job keeping RAM balanced and efficient, so I think with 1gig you will be safe.

Not a bad idea to look into upgrading in the future though. Upgrading to 4gig..

Good luck.
-AC

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook PRO, iPhone 3G
I just ordered a 4 GB RAM set from Kingston.

I'll only by using Parallels and Windows (Photoshop, Quicken etc.) once or twice a week for an hour or two. The rest of the time I'm usually in Office for Mac.

Should I set Parallels to use 1 GB and leave 3 GB for OS X?

When Parallels is not running, does OS X have access to all 4 GB or would the 1 GB always reserved for Parallels?

- Mike

Reaction score
Nice.

You can put 2gb on OS X and 2gb on Windows... No biggie. You will still have a lot of performance available.

When Parallels is not running, the OS that is running has the full 4gb to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.