• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

PO about Apple Policy

Reaction score
I had to get my nano replaced and the thought of getting a refurbish unit back is bugging me. I mean, I gave them a defective product I bought brand new and yet I get a refurbish model back in return - why shouldn't I get a brand new model back??? I didn't break the machine, apple sold be a defective product, I should get a new one to replace mine. What's going on?

This is my 3rd apple product and everyone has had a problem with it, I think apple is becoming beauty without substance.

Anyone irked by the idea of getting a refurb model back in return for a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Not me, I don't care, I'm not buying it to be new, I'm buying it to do what I bought it to do, plus apple has some great refurbs and as with any refurbished product it goes through extensive testing and cleaning so I know it'll work well.

OP
L
Reaction score
^^^
so are you telling me that you would pay full price for a refurb item - apple or otherwise? Because that's essentially what I've done. I mean it I buy a refurb item I would, 1) expect it to be on my own terms and 2) not pay full price.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
^^^
so are you telling me that you would pay full price for a refurb item - apple or otherwise? Because that's essentially what I've done. I mean it I buy a refurb item I would, 1) expect it to be on my own terms and 2) not pay full price.

If it was defective out of the box, I would absolutely insist on a new replacement. As you said, you didn't buy a refurbished unit, you bought a new one. Now, if it was a few weeks old and suddenly died, that would be a different story.

OP
L
Reaction score
^^^
It was a few weeks - but what's the difference? They warranty the product for a yr? Their product is defective, so technically they never sold me a product that worked (or as advertised) - This could get into a whole contract thing, which I don't want to get into....but the bottom line is I basically ended up buying a refurb at full price.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^^
It was a few weeks - but what's the difference? They warranty the product for a yr? Their product is defective, so technically they never sold me a product that worked (or as advertised) - This could get into a whole contract thing, which I don't want to get into....but the bottom line is I basically ended up buying a refurb at full price.

Well, a few weeks old means that the product is essentially "used", so to have it exchanged with a refurbished one seems reasonable for me. Just my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You gave them a used unit in exchange for a refurbished one.

I am on my third iPhone. I am stoked they will give me a "like new" one for one I used for 6 months.

This is common practice with lots of manufacturers. I'd get over it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Two weeks old? That, by most anyone's definition, is "used". So getting a refurb as a replacement is completely reasonable. Besides, their QA on refurbished equipment is quite good. You'll probably not have an issue with the replacement and isn't that what you want?

OP
L
Reaction score
^^^

See to me it doesn't matter if it's a few weeks old even 360 days old. As long as it's covered under their warranty and the product is proven to be defective. I paid full price for a new product that works and is not defective. That is the term of the purchase. Since the product is defective they have not completed their end of the transaction. In essence, my transaction should be treated as if I never bought the product and am buying the product for the first time again.

I'm shocked at how much Apple can get away with - and how much apple supporters allow Apple to get away with. Consumer should get what they pay for - in this case a new non-defective product, not a refurb functioning product. I'm not that old but, boy consumerism has sure changed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What if their policy after the 14 day return period was to repair it? How mad would you be if you went two weeks without it because it was in repair.

Part of these "terms" you agreed to most likely have a stipulation like this. Read Samsung's defective policy. They can exchange product of the same cost; it doesn't have to be the same model.

If you were to put a refurbished model next to a new one you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The only difference is in your head.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^^

See to me it doesn't matter if it's a few weeks old even 360 days old. As long as it's covered under their warranty and the product is proven to be defective. I paid full price for a new product that works and is not defective. That is the term of the purchase. Since the product is defective they have not completed their end of the transaction. In essence, my transaction should be treated as if I never bought the product and am buying the product for the first time again.

I'm shocked at how much Apple can get away with - and how much apple supporters allow Apple to get away with. Consumer should get what they pay for - in this case a new non-defective product, not a refurb functioning product. I'm not that old but, boy consumerism has sure changed.

You're in for a shock then as most consumer electronics companies have the same policy. I've never received a brand new replacement for a failed device (of any kind) during the warranty period.

OP
L
Reaction score
^^^

Just because other companies do it doesn't make it right. I have in fact return electronic goes that have been defective for brand new products. I remember when portable CD player first came out, I got one with a defect and the company gave me a new one in return.

Are you telling me that you would be happy if you bought a Tshirt and found a hole in it and when you went back to return it, they gave you a used one instead of a new one? or better yet they gave you a Tshirt back that had a previous hole sewn up? Or what about buying a new pair of Nike's then finding you have problems with it, return it, and they send you a pair that someone else has worn but they have repaired?

That is what apple and other companies, using this practice, are doing. If you tell me you would accept those item, then boy they say you coming.

I don't care care how good a referb is, I paid for a new functioning product. Would you pay full price for an item that is refurb in a store if you saw it on the shelf next to a brand new product?

I think branding/marketing has got to you guys...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Clothing and electronics are completely different. According to your analogy, Apple replaced your Nano with one that had a dent or a cracked screen, but they didn't, did they?

I've actually had better luck with Apple's refurbished products than their new products. So, if they're going to replace something I bought new and replace it with a refurbished model 6 months later, I won't complain.

I think consumerism has gotten to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Nah I probably wouldn't want those back, but there's a big difference between used electronics and used clothing. Either way, branding has definitely not gotten to me, would it be nice if I got a new one in exchange? Yes, but I could really care less as long as it does what I bought it to do and doesn't have noticeable visible defects, if that was the case then most companies would give you another product.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Clothing and electronics are completely different. According to your analogy, Apple replaced your Nano with one that had a dent or a cracked screen, but they didn't, did they?

I've actually had better luck with Apple's refurbished products than their new products. So, if they're going to replace something I bought new and replace it with a refurbished model 6 months later, I won't complain.

I think consumerism has gotten to you.

Exactly, clothing and electronics are two different things.

The term "refurbished" implies that the product has been returned to a like-new state by the manufacturer - and that has indeed been my experience with most refurbished consumer electronics.

Please don't mistake what I've said to imply that I wouldn't rather have a new replacement, but I understand that companies are in business to make money too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please don't mistake what I've said to imply that I wouldn't rather have a new replacement, but I understand that companies are in business to make money too.

My comments are only to the OP.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Dont all of Apple refurbs get new outter casings? If so, then whats the problem? I bought a Xbox 360. And a few months later, they got the red rings. I sent it in, and was immediately sent a different one, one that was sent in by someone else, repaired, and sent to me. And mine went to someone other than me after it was fixed. Its not like a car. It does not get mileage. And they didnt send me one with a crack in the body or anything. They sent me exactly what I sent them. A used, new looking product. Seemed fair to me. And my 360 is still going strong a year later. So I have really nothing to complain about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.