New Graphics Card for the iMac--do I need it?

Reaction score
So, I am about to order an iMac (will be making a switch from PC to Mac!)--my main objective for this new machine is to allow me to more fully pursue my interest in photography (digital imaging) and to a lesser extent, support some video work (home movies of the kids etc). I won't be doing anything professional, just hoping to grow my skills and do some cool photo/video projects for the family/friends etc.

I am pretty well sold on buying a refurbed 24" iMac 2.8 (price seems very good with the upgrade announced earlier this week). However, I have to admit, I do wonder about that higher end graphic card option on the new iMacs--am I better off to bite the bullet and go with a new unit and upgrade to that more advanced video card or will I be fine (for my needs) with whats in the refurbed unit I am looking at--ATI 256 I believe.

Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
Since you're only doing some basic photography and video work, that graphics card should do you quite fine I suppose, do correct me if I'm wrong. You'll only need that higher end graphics card if you're doing some serious graphics-intensive gaming, like Call of Duty 4 or Crysis.

OP
W
Reaction score
Exactly

Since you're only doing some basic photography and video work, that graphics card should do you quite fine I suppose, do correct me if I'm wrong. You'll only need that higher end graphics card if you're doing some serious graphics-intensive gaming, like Call of Duty 4 or Crysis.

That was how I understood the reviews/comments on why the need for the new card--good response from Apple, but not really necessary for my needs. I like having the latest and greatest, but no need to buy it if I don't need it/won't really be using it!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I agree with calenerd. The reason for a higher powered video card is to achieve better throughput in fast moving images, such as those presented by games. For photo editing, a fairly graphically slow moving bit of work, the existing video card should work just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
I currently have the model you are thinking about getting, and it is more than adequate for what you plan to do, as I do similar work with it myself.

For me upgrading the RAM was a good idea, as it helped render artwork faster etc...but you may not even need that.

So yeah, don't worry about the new machine, you will do great with that refurbished iMac!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.