transferring information mac to pc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MACBOOK PRO 2.6ghz 4gb ram
Hi i want to use my old windows based laptop which still gets very rare use as a back up for all my files on my mac approx 45gb what would be the easiest way of transferring the files other than using an external hard drive? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Crossover Network cable to connect the two machines.
Create a shared folder on the PC with read/write permissions.
Copy the files over from the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Set up an adhoc network.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks im trying your method mr plow ive connected the two via the network cable and set up a shared folder on the pc at the minute im struggling to get the folder off read only as its keeps going to programme not responding any ideas? also how do i send it once its been set up? sorry if these are stupid questions! Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 7200 RPM 250 HD, 2 gig Ram, 2.4 Gig processor... IPHONE 3g
The way I did it was with an ethernet cable connected to both. I'd suggest that, as it was easy, fast, and worked. If you go to the apple website, theres also SEVERAL tutorials for different ways to transfer from a pc to a mac and visa versa. The way I said being one of them. That way if you get stuck, there is step by step instructions.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i tried one of the methods on the mac site connecting the two by ethernet cable and going to finder and shared but theres no shared option there!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Which version of Windows? Which version of mac OS?

You may need to manually configure an IP address on you r mac and PC e.g.10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 for instance and give them the same subnet e.g. 255.255.255.0

Once this is done go to Finder, press cmd+k and enter the PCs IP address to access the folder.

It's worth turning off the PC firewall while doing this or allowing 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.2 IP range through.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.