iMac G5 won't come out of display sleep

Reaction score
Leopard has run very smoothly on my iMac G5 for the last 2 months until today. In my energy saver settings I have it set to NEVER sleep, but put the display to sleep after 15 minutes. I went to activate the display this morning and got nothing (tried with keyboard and mouse). I ended up having to force it off by holding the power button. Booted back up and everything seemed to be fine until the display went to sleep again. Same problem. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this or had this issue before???

Thx

OP
V
Reaction score
update: Now it's locking up completely in the finder within 5 minutes of booting up. Nothing works and I have to shut down. Then it takes two attempted boot ups before it actually doesn't freeze on bootup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Firstly check Disk Utility and see what SMART verified has to say? If all okay pop the install DVD in and boot from there and run Repair Disk and see what is reported?

If all okay, boot from startup and run Repair Permissions. Let's know how things progress? Might be a job for DiskWarrioir 4.1.

OP
V
Reaction score
Firstly check Disk Utility and see what SMART verified has to say? If all okay pop the install DVD in and boot from there and run Repair Disk and see what is reported?

If all okay, boot from startup and run Repair Permissions. Let's know how things progress? Might be a job for DiskWarrioir 4.1.

Thanks...I'll try and report back...

OP
V
Reaction score
It's been about 24 hours since I booted up from the install CD and verified and repaired my HD (it had one minor issue) Also repaired permissions.

It's been so long (back when I ran OS 9) since I've had to troubleshoot a problem that I didn't even know where to start with OS X.

Thanks for the tip harry :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.