Need Help With Wireless Connection.

Reaction score
Okay, so here is the situation. I go through Qwest for our wireless internet service. The router for our service is upstairs in our two-story house. We have a few different electronic devices running off of the internet at any given time, including 2 iMac G5's, an Intel Based MacBook, a Wii, and a PC Laptop that my father uses downstairs occasionally.

Well, it SEEMS like our internet service is the most reliable when all but one device is turned off. What i mean by this is that our internet seems to be the most reliable when there is only one computer on at a time. Otherwise, when either my brother and I are using the internet simultaneously, or my computer is on and i get online with the Macbook, the internet will frequently cut in and out every 5 minutes.

We have contacted Qwest and had our router changed 3 times, and still we have the same results. I dont want to go through the hassle of a 4th router, and I thought it may have something to do with the computers themselves. What could be the problem? Are the macs running on some same frequency or something that could be causing the issue? Any help is deeply appreciated, for this problem is severely annoying.

Any information will be given if asked for.

Thanks! ^^

Reaction score
Try going in to the router and change the wireless channel to something like channel: 9 - 2.452 GHz

I was having the same troubles as you. Here is the link to the original post and the solution I used to fix my problem was the same as I am suggesting to you: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106516

You did not mention that you had already set this up, but you may want to look in to purchasing an item such as the AirPort Express for Mac to help extend/increase the wireless signal through out the house. Here is the link to the AirPort Express:

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

But I have a pretty good feeling that changing the channel may help fix your problem. Good luck <><

OP
M
Reaction score
alright, well i really appreciate the help, but I have tried changing the channel before, once or twice at least. It never seemed to help, but then again, I haven't tried that exact same frequency either. Ive changed it, and will report my findings in a day or two.

Also, as for Airport Extreme, I havent purchased it, but Im not sure it is the signal Im having trouble with. It is either myISP or something in my Macs that is causing the problems.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
I seriously don't think you have gotten a bad router 3 times in a row. I think it has to do with either the channel frequency or the signal strength. Let us know how things are going since changing the frequency.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I agree with the others, it's likely the channel you're running on. Try using either 1 or 11. They are the least used channels overall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Before you can diagnose the problem properly you need to know where the problem is occuring.

Are you losing your connection between router and computer or is the router dropping the connection to the 'net?

OP
M
Reaction score
well, ive changed to freq. 9, and that was last night. Since then, not one dropped session.

However that has only been what, 12 hours?

Well, it seems as if whenever the net drops, I am not sure if it is the connection to the router or to the actual net. From what I can tell, every time it happens. the INTERNET indicator light on the router is still on. So i guess it is the connection from the computers to router.

Well, once again, ill go for the day on this new frequency, and let you know what happens.

Thanks for all the help.

OP
M
Reaction score
okay, seems as if there has been very few disconnections if any on my macs here at home in the past 48 hours, since i changed my frequency to 9 on my router.

However,

My mother reports that she can no longer hold a stable connection for more then 3-4 minutes at a time on the PC labtop.

I will look into the problem a bit more and report my findings, but as far as i can tell, problem solved for the macs.

OP
M
Reaction score
hey guys, me again. Sorry to be a bother, but changing the wireless frequency didnt really solve anything. I am still experiencing very bad disconnection rates on all of the macs in my house. It worked just fine for a few days, but now it is just as bad as it has ever been. Any solutions? Im just about ready to change ISPs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.