FileMaker 6 capabilities?

Reaction score
Is anyone here familiar with FileMaker Pro?

I'm using FileMaker 6 Pro for timesheets and as a database of active and inactive jobs I'm working on. I currently use the FM6 client on both PCs and Macs in the office with the .fp5 databases stored and accessed on a Windows 2003 network server.

Two questions:

1) Does v.6 have security levels? Currently anyone who starts up FM and connects to our timesheets database can add, delete, or alter timesheet records at will. This is obviously not an ideal situation. Is there any way we can have employees login in to the database, and then only have access to their timesheets?

2) Does v.6 have export capabilities to QuickBooks 2008 Profession Services Edition? Specifically we're looking for a weekly timesheet upload that will import the timesheets from the timesheets database to QB, as well as import project information from the active projects database?

3) We've had copies of FM7 lying around that we got as part of the FM6 package when we bought it, but have been holding off because the FM rep had mentioned the fileformat being different and having to go through a lot of work to transfer our FM6 files to FM7. Anywho, the point being– if v.6 doesn't have the two capabilities I'm asking about above, does v.7?

If I need to provide more info for those two questions to be answered properly, please ask away and I'll do my best!

Thanks,
m19

Reaction score
Security Levels: Yes, You can have a login system that can control the users access to FileMaker v6.
Quickbooks: I know FileMaker V7 and above, preferable V9, can synchronize with QB via plug-ins.
FYI: FileMaker 7 and above is a total different format than FileMaker v6.
If you may need any help, please feel free to contact me.
Carlos75.
Villtech

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.