Wireless External

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4AlumBook, 4g iphone, 64wifi iPad, Atv2, Ipod classic
I have recently purchased an external hard drive, and would like to make it wireless on my network so as to access all the contents on multiple computers, both mac and pc's. I would also like to be able to save to it wirelessly if possible.

I have a BT homehub, and was just wandering whether its a simple plug in job or whether there's other forces at play? Also any links to any guides anyone has about setting this up with any router would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Does your homehub support a hard drive? I'm not sure that it does. You'd probably be better off just buying a NAS (something like this)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" CD iMac and black C2D MacBook
Unless your hard drive has an Ethernet connection, you will need some way to add it to your network. An Airport Extreme or Time Capsule will allow you to turn a vanilla hard drive into a network drive. IIRC there have been some issues with BT Homehub and Airport but I think these have been ironed out now.

HTH :)

OP
cknight88
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4AlumBook, 4g iphone, 64wifi iPad, Atv2, Ipod classic
thanks for your replies...

my hard drive doesnt have an ethernet port, but the homehub does have a USB port?

also what is NAS? So if i was to buy an airport extreme, i could hook up any normal standard hard drive to it, with the router doing the work of sharing?

thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Try sticking it in the USB then and see what happens - it'll either work or it won't.

NAS - Network-Attached Storage. It's an external HDD with ethernet, so it connects to your network via your router (sorry, that was a bad explanation, Google).

If you were to buy Airport Extreme (or the new express I think) you would be able to hook up a normal external to it and access it over the wireless network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.