10.3.6 Panther Update Available

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Just noticed it in Software Update. Haven't upgraded yet, but I'll let everyone know if I experience any problems once I do.

The 10.3.6 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther" and is recommended for all users.

Key enhancements include:
- improved file sharing for Mac (AFP), UNIX (NFS) and PC (SMB/CIFS) networks
- more reliable network automounts and launch of network applications
- improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphic drivers
- additional FireWire audio and USB device compatibility
- updated Calculator, DVD Player, Image Capture, and Safari applications
- improved compatibility for third party applications
- previous standalone security updates

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Thanks for the notice.

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
I updated both my iBook and my Beige G3 AIO this evening, and so far no problems to report. I haven't really noticed any improvements to Safari, though it's now at version 1.2.4.

N

Nightblade

Ah, this seems nice...I check Software Update every day (and right afterwards, I check MacUpdate), and I just noticed it. I'm downloading it right now, although I've already changed my Mac's Specs in my profile just in case I forget to do it later. But technically, even though they say 10.3.6, I have 10.3.5 as I'm typing this message.

So, now we're up to 10.3.6. This really means that Tiger (10.4) is coming up! Because, I don't think ANYthing in computer history as ever receieved a version that extends to the fourth "decimal place". So, Apple can only release a maximum of three more updates before Tiger, but I don't even know if they'll get 10.3.9 before 10.4 is released. It's supposed to be released in early 2005, right? Well, 2004 is very close to being over, and seeing as how these updates get released every...two and a half months or so, 10.3.9 would normally get released at around mid-June! And of course, Tiger will be released before then. Even so, though, I think I remember somewhere someone saying that 10.3.5 (or was it 10.3.3?) would be the last version of Panther. Now it seems they were wrong.

So, I wonder what updates 10.3.6 brings? I want details...Saying that it brings a new version of Safari wouldn't be enough. I would want to know what this new version of Safari brings too.

And I hope this update doesn't somehow decrease my computer's speed....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I updated, and now safari doesnt work, Ive repaired permissions several times, delete safaris
prefs, and nothing. it starts opening, then quits and I get the error message saying safari has unexpectedly quit. previous to this update, I was running safari 1.3, could this have caused a problem? Ive now reinstalled 1.3 and it still isnt working, Im in omniweb now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
Working fine for me and i have noticed that when you right click on the desktop and select the Change Desktop Backround butten... that it doesnt go to the screensaver prefs anymore.... Yesssssss. Well its not that big of a deal but its still nice. ;)

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
firsteggprez said:
Working fine for me and i have noticed that when you right click on the desktop and select the Change Desktop Backround butten... that it doesnt go to the screensaver prefs anymore.... Yesssssss. Well its not that big of a deal but its still nice. ;)

LOL - I remember reading a thread where someone was complaining about that. Was that you? :p

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
I updated, and now safari doesnt work, Ive repaired permissions several times, delete safaris
prefs, and nothing. it starts opening, then quits and I get the error message saying safari has unexpectedly quit. previous to this update, I was running safari 1.3, could this have caused a problem? Ive now reinstalled 1.3 and it still isnt working, Im in omniweb now.

I would suspect that running 1.3 is the problem. This update includes an update for Safari to 1.2.4, so running 1.3 is most likely causing a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
so if I delete safari 1.3 and manually update the os again, all should be fine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
Padawan said:
LOL - I remember reading a thread where someone was complaining about that. Was that you? :p

No... But i did read that. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Just got the 10.3.6 and repair permissions found nothing :alien:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yep everything works great for me so far!

T

Toanjii

Just installed it. Ran repair permission (nothing to repair). No problems with Safari or Change Desktop.

All good. Will let you know if any problems occur.

Toan.

N

nadeemhood

ULEAD DVD PIcture Show MAC does not work with 10.3.6

Yeah after updating to 10.3.6 the software does not burn VCD's.....no updates or patches yet :)

Padawan said:
Just noticed it in Software Update. Haven't upgraded yet, but I'll let everyone know if I experience any problems once I do.

The 10.3.6 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther" and is recommended for all users.

Key enhancements include:
- improved file sharing for Mac (AFP), UNIX (NFS) and PC (SMB/CIFS) networks
- more reliable network automounts and launch of network applications
- improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphic drivers
- additional FireWire audio and USB device compatibility
- updated Calculator, DVD Player, Image Capture, and Safari applications
- improved compatibility for third party applications
- previous standalone security updates

K

Kafka2112

Just updated to 10.3.6 and I am having problems dowloading word docs from my company web-mail.

Anyone encounter the same problem?

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.