iMac to MacBook Pro clone

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am a mac convert and recently purchased an imac with Leopard. I was so impressed that i am changing my notebook for a macbookpro. Its due to arrive any day now but i wanted to ask what is the best way to literally clone the imac that i have now. I basically want the most efficient and least troublesome method of making my imac mobile by transferring the entire contents onto the macbook at start up. What areas if any am i likely to have problems with(perhaps itunes or adobe lightroom). I have an online purchased version of iworks will i need to reinstall with a new license number or can i just zapp the one copy across. Any advise no matter how trivial it may seem would be appreciated :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
You can use Apple's Migration Assistant to move all your apps and login and data across from your imac to your new mac. If you start up the imac in Disk Mode you can connect the two with a firewire cable and use it like an external.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Is there anything in particular i should watch out for.Should I transfer data in any particular order. I read somewhere that one should start with the transfer of password details first.Would is be easier to use a wireless network rather than a firewire cable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're using migration assistant it just does it for you, I've never had a problem with it. I'm not sure if you can do it over wireless, and it would probably take a very long time if you could.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did it when I got my new HD and got Leopard. Put my old HD in an enclosure since I don't have another mac and migration assistant did it all, and I've not had any problems yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.