New iMac Blues

Reaction score
The problem: I order a new iMac, fully configured, from the online Apple Store Monday, April 21st. Exactly one week later, April 28, the very day that my new iMac arrives via FedEx, I go to the Apple website only to find that, lo and behold, Apple has come out with a new, even better iMac.

I have heard some people on here say that they have purchased iMacs recently (from a physical Apple Store, I assume) and were able to exchange for the new ones. In my case, though, since I ordered from the online Apple Store, wouldn't it be different? I notice that the Apple site says that configure-to-order items can not be returned under any circumstances unless they are dead on arrival.

The iMac has not yet been removed from its box. Is it possible that they might make an exception given my circumstances and let me return the iMac and get the new one, or should I just go ahead and open it? Is there any precedent for this kind of thing?

I'm guessing that I'm out of luck.

I'm not going to be that upset if I can't return it, by the way. It's still a pretty nice machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The problem: I order a new iMac, fully configured, from the online Apple Store Monday...I notice that the Apple site says that configure-to-order items can not be returned under any circumstances unless they are dead on arrival.

Apple said:
Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:

* Product that is custom configured to your specifications, including personalized products
Indeed, it does.
I'm guessing that I'm out of luck.
Indeed, you are.
No worries, though. You still have an extremely capable and well-built machine.
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
I would most definitely ASK!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Yea, it never hurts to ask!!

I think someone here did the same thing with a macbook pro and all he/she had to do was pay a 15% restocking fee. So maybe you'll be lucky like them, and even if not then you still have a very good machine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
What country are you in?

If you're in the UK you have 7 days to return a completely unopened product for a full refund, although you will have to pay carriage back.

The disclaimer on the site makes it sounds like you're in the US though?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is your iMac a 20" or 24"? Are you heavy into gaming?

I agree with DB, yours is a fine and capable machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Your computer is still going to rock, although you have a 90 day return policy, and as someone mentioned, you may have to pay a restocking fee.
I returned a ibook once when they came out with a new model, and Apple did not argue with me, they returned it and I accepted a new model.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your computer is still going to rock, although you have a 90 day return policy, and as someone mentioned, you may have to pay a restocking fee.
I returned a ibook once when they came out with a new model, and Apple did not argue with me, they returned it and I accepted a new model.

Did you order it online, though? Was your iBook customized? I see no mention on the Apple website of a 90-day return policy for customized items ordered from the online Apple Store. In fact, it seems that the opposite is the case. Keep in mind also that I have opened the iMac and set it up. I am typing this message right now on my new iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.