Problems accessing websites

W

wickedbusa

I've been having this problem accessing websites lately. I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser. When I type in the website, I sometimes get a message that tells me that the server cannot be found. If I try it a second time, it works. My PB does it whether I'm using my Airport card or plugged in via ethernet. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do? I tried using Safari and it gets hung up trying to access websites. I have two other laptops and a desktop using the same router at home and it's only my computer that has problems accessing websites. Does my PB have some kind of glitch in it or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I just started having the same problem recently and there is a little article on macfixit.com talking about what you can do to fix it. The basic idea of the article says that if you stick your ISP's DNS address in System Preferences then it should fix it. I tried this, and sure enough.. I don't have any of those problems anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
Murlyn said:
I just started having the same problem recently and there is a little article on macfixit.com talking about what you can do to fix it. The basic idea of the article says that if you stick your ISP's DNS address in System Preferences then it should fix it. I tried this, and sure enough.. I don't have any of those problems anymore.
I have the same problem and I want to fix it so can anyone tell me what the ISP's DNS adress is? Thanks to everyone who answers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
You need to call or email your ISP (Internet Service Provider) the people you purchase your Internet access through and ask them what their DNS (Domain Name Server) address is and then once you find it out, you then go to System Preferences -> Network -> Click on the Interface you are using, Airport / Ethernet, etc then click on "TCP/IP" and stick it in the "Search Domain" text field and the DNS Servers address field.

OP
W

wickedbusa

Murlyn said:
You need to call or email your ISP (Internet Service Provider) the people you purchase your Internet access through and ask them what their DNS (Domain Name Server) address is and then once you find it out, you then go to System Preferences -> Network -> Click on the Interface you are using, Airport / Ethernet, etc then click on "TCP/IP" and stick it in the "Search Domain" text field and the DNS Servers address field.

Tried that and it works!! Thanks a million!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.