hard disk space vanished

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro MA895B/A
I read through the posts but I didn't find any related topic, so forgive please if it has already been discussed elsewhere.

I wanted to install win xp on my macbook pro (10.5.2 all the latest updates installed), and I gave 15GB space for XP in the boot camp assistant, then clicked on partition. It started partitioning, then when it finished, the screen became dimmed with a message on top saying I need to restart my computer now by pressing and holding the power button for a few seconds. I did so, and when it restarted, there were no disk for XP, but the allocated 15GB space is missing from the Mac HD.

Any idea what could have happened, or how to get that space back without wiping everything clean?

Thanks a lot

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I read through the posts but I didn't find any related topic, so forgive please if it has already been discussed elsewhere.

I wanted to install win xp on my macbook pro (10.5.2 all the latest updates installed), and I gave 15GB space for XP in the boot camp assistant, then clicked on partition. It started partitioning, then when it finished, the screen became dimmed with a message on top saying I need to restart my computer now by pressing and holding the power button for a few seconds. I did so, and when it restarted, there were no disk for XP, but the allocated 15GB space is missing from the Mac HD.

Any idea what could have happened, or how to get that space back without wiping everything clean?

Thanks a lot

Run the Boot Camp assistant once more and use recover. That should wipe out the 15 Gb partition and get you back to normal again.

Make sure you print out the Boot Camp instructions (if you haven't already) and refer to them as you're creating the partition and installing Windows. It sounds like something may have gone wrong when you created the 15 Gb partition. You might want to run the disk utility to check out and verify your hard drive before you proceed with creating another partition for Windows.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro MA895B/A
thanks, I'm on a trip now, but will return home tomorrow, I don't want to mess with it while being away from my backups.

I'll keep you informed

thanks a lot!!!

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro MA895B/A
hi

boot camp assistant didn't offer any recover option, so I used disk utility, and it said mac hd needs to be repaired.

I'll try to do it

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro MA895B/A
I rebooted from os x install disc, run disc utility, and repaired the mac hd. The missing 15GB came back, everything is fine now.

hope this helps those who might face the same problem

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.