Can i upgrade the CPU on my 20" iMac? (2ghz)

Reaction score
I here the new 3.0ghz iMac is out. I only just got this one. I have maxed out the memory at 4gb but i want to know if i can upgrade the CPU on it.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7 2.0 15" Hi-Res 8gb RAM, 500GB / 32GB iPhone 4. Apple TV 2G++++
I am pretty sure the processor is part of the logic board! Very much doubt you can change it without replacing the whole logic board and thats not guaranteed to work if apple have changed other specs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Yea, the newer iMacs have socketed processors so you can upgrade them. I don't know which one you could upgrade to and if you'd really notice any difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have had a look at the early 2008 service manual and it shows the logic board as single replaceable item with the processor part of that item. It is not possible to order a processor by it's self for this machine.

Not to say that it isn't socketed as I haven't tried separating them but it's not something you would be able to do under your warranty as far as I am aware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
looked a little further and you are right about the zif socket so in theory - possible. in practice ify!!! ;-)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.