Leopard - Permissions issues with sharing

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Firstly I want to say a big thanks to everyone on the forum because this forum made my transition from Win to Mac much easier when I bit the bullet about 10 months ago.

I have just upgraded to Leopard and am enjoying the better sharing options in the new OS. I am having 1 small problem though that is really annoying. I will attempt to explain the issue I have. Here goes...

My machine (MacPro- Leopard) hosts the share for the other computers on our small office network. My graphic designer (iMac - Leopard) shares our client files and has Read & Write permissions and my Admin girl (Windows XP) also shares this drive with Read & Write permissions.

Now this all works fine for sharing and access...but where there is a hiccup is...When the graphic designer creates a new folder on the shared drive neither I or the admin lady can write to that file or folder...it is read only by default.

I have to go to the drive and reset the permissions so everyone can read and write to all sub folders etc. again.

Any ideas on how we can make sure that everyone can write to the new folders created on the share by the graphic designer?

Thanks....look forward to the solution.

Joel

OP
K
Reaction score
Hey people...

Still no ideas on this? It is really annoying that I have to re-apply permissions to every folder that the GD creates from his iMac.

Anyway any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Reaction score
You could always make a new group that owns the shared folder, and add everyone to that group. It's easier said than done (the first time around) now that netinfo has been gotten rid of. Follow the directions here to get the tools from apple that you will need:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071029181159291
Then just go into the new 'server' folder in Applications, and open the workgroup tool and create the new group & group folder, and add your people to that group!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.