Adium Problems sighs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
My friend has an iMac the same as mine...see left hand side for info

He has Mercury Messenger (using MSN account) and it disconnects him a lot while chatting to me or any of his friends. He is sick of Mercury now and I suggested he use Adium.
He is now having problems with Adium not connecting to his MSN and AIM.

Below is what he has tried...

Removed Mercury Messenger via AppDelete
Downloaded Adium
Installed Adium
His MSN account will not connect:Grimmace:
Basically Adium connects for a split second, then disonnects. Something is preventing Adium to stay conected...what wuld that be?
His AIM account connected once, he disconnected, then that was the last time it would connect for some reason.

The weird thing is, he came over to my place, and I created an Guest account on Adium and he was able to connect his MSN account on my Adium.

So the question is: Why can't he connect his MSN account via Adium on his iMac?
If he got Adium to connect he could even use his AIM account too, but this isn't connecting either.

thanks for any help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD
I have also had similar problems on some of my friends computers, who are now forced to use MSN messenger instead of adium simply because it will not sign him into his MSN account.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
So it's nothing to do with the iMac then?

I can't understand why Adium is locking MSN and AIM accounts off. He just created a new MSN account to see if that works, but no luck.

At the moment he has to use iChat via AIM and he need's a chat program to use MSN. I don't think he likes aMSN Messenger either.

Wondering if he installs Adium 1.0.4 and see if it connects, he can then update to Adium 1.2.5 later
Adium 1.04 here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Another thing to try is checking his dns servers (in system preferences > network) and trying alternative dns servers like the ones at opendns.org and seeing if that fixes the problem. Also you can try changing the server address in adium prefs > accounts > msn > options to messenger.hotmail.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
or messenger.live.com (I think) if its already the hotmail one, I can't remember the other server address

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info muso:)

He has messenger.hotmail.com in the Login, so he tried the other login, neither made much of a difference.

Also you can try changing the server address in adium prefs > accounts > msn > options to messenger.hotmail.com
or messenger.live.com (I think) if its already the hotmail one, I can't remember the other server address

With the dns servers, how does he do that?
He uses Airport via a Wireless D-Link DSL-G604T Modem/Router

try is checking his dns servers (in system preferences > network) and trying alternative dns servers like the ones at opendns.org and seeing if that fixes the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
With the dlink, dns settings are under home > dns (well, at least for my one it is). Probably better to change them there rather than in system prefs, as long as you write down the existing dns servers so you can revert back if it doesn't fix anything. I'm 99% sure it's not a dns problem anyway if it's actually connecting in the first place.

Also to try narrowing down the problem, if you create a new msn messenger account and try to log onto it on his computer does it have the same problem? Another thing could be to try another computer on his network to see if its his net connection or his specific computer that is causing the problem.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep he created a new MSN account and still wasn't able to stay connected.

if you create a new msn messenger account and try to log onto it on his computer does it have the same problem?

ok I will see if someone can try his network setup on another computer.

What would be wrong on his iMac if nothing else works and what would the solution be? Try another Messenger? He has done a Verify Disk Permissions to see if anythings wrong with hsi iMac and it looks all good.

Another thing could be to try another computer on his network to see if its his net connection or his specific computer that is causing the problem.

Reaction score
hi

I'm having the same problem and the problem isn't the mac or adium,
but the D-link modem. Try connecting the mac directly to the modem with ethernet cable and see if it connects? For some reason it doesn't work when connecting wirelessly.

when I talked to the D-Link support they said:

1. Login to your router
2. Go to ‘HOME’ > ‘WAN’
3. Change the MTU to a value between 576 and 1500, I will suggest 1400.
4. Click ‘Apply’
5. Go to ‘TOOLS’ >’ SYSTEM’
6. Click ‘save and reboot’
7. Test your ability to use those applications. If changing the MTU rate to 1400 does not resolve the problem, start lowering it in increments of ten until the problem is resolved (you may need to go as low as 600 depending on your DSL connection)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.