slow .DMG mounting

Reaction score
Lately when i open a disk image file its been taking a long time to mount. It goes through the initializing and other stages fine but once it hits the last stage ,"finalizing", it stays like that for about 30 secs and if i click anywhere on the screen, everything is frozen until the disk mounts and then its fine. Any ideas as of why this occurs and/or the solution to it? Im using a MacBook Pro with Leopard if that has anything to do with it.

Reaction score
There used to be a program called FlashMount that you could use to speed up the process of mounting images such as DMG or ISO, but I'm not even sure if it is still available.

May want to use the Disk Utility and Repair Permissions. May or may not help, but it's worth a shot.

Not sure if you have tried simply restarting the computer, but restarts do some amazing things :)

<><

OP
P
Reaction score
Yeah I've tried repairing permissions but with not luck. And the old "when in doubt restart the computer" didn't work either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
When disk images are processed and mounted, the mac goes through a final integrity check. I guess if the image contains many small files this could take time.

I believe you can turn off this integrity check in Terminal - but I cannot remember the place where I found this info.

As long as the image mounted successfully

as youthpastor says there is a solution

http://www.liquidnexus.com/index.php/software/flashmount

OP
P
Reaction score
I just find it weird that all of the sudden it freezes during the last stage, like somthing has obviously changed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Is it the same for all .dmg files regardless of size? Is it possible that it is taking longer for larger .dmgs?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.