Older PowerBook Upgrades

Reaction score
I'm a longtime PC user and I'm interested in learning more about Macs. A friend mine was retiring his Powerbook and offered it to me as a learning tool.

So right now I have a http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g3/stats/powerbook_g3_333.html

In really good condition (my friend takes Far better care of his things than I do). I'm looking to undertake some technical challenges, so I have installed more RAM (256 tot) and set up the system as a dual boot OSX 10.3 / Linux dual boot. Afterwards, I also got access to some OEM laptop DVD/RW drives. The system originally had a CD-ROM drive so I tried upgrading, and it worked! The drive reads CDs&DVDs normally in Linux & OSX, and burns Disks normally in Linux. I know I need patchburn to burn in OSX.

Before I got that far, However, I wanted to reconfigure everything. Unfortunately I discovered I cannot boot to the new DVD drive. I'm going to try and reinstall the original drive, but does anyone know why I would not be able to boot to the new drive, or if I can fix some settings to make it bootable?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
dude sell it and buy a macbook or atleast a powerbook G4 ,that thing is ancient
and is nothing compared to todays mac' no offense but I don't even think Apple will servie G3 anymore.... you could buy a decent G4 powerbook for $400 or you could go ahead and buy a Macbook for $800.00

trust me you won't regret it.

Good lucj

OP
D
Reaction score
Yea, but i like a challenge, and I don't have the money to blow on buying on right now. Any thoughts on what I can do about booting to this drive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.