• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New toy for iBook?

D

Desolate One

I am really diggin this thing and I'm going to go as far as to make it my desktop replacement considering I'm not in the market for a new G5 to replace my PC (read: I'm broke). I was thinking max out the RAM (1G more) or Bluetooth KB & mouse. I've also been kicking around the idea of an Airport Extreme Base Station so I can surf whilst enjoying a cigar out back... then again it's getting quite cold so I think that idea can wait.

So wot do you guys think? Max out the RAM or Bluetooth KB & mouse? Or hey, if you blokes have any other suggestions, I'm open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I think if RAM is good now, get the bluetooth since iBook is so nice to be mobile :alien:

OP
M

m1k

I'd say get RAM. Bluetooth came standard in my PowerBook, and I've never really used it - I have a USB mouse. I have upgraded the RAM a lot though.

If you're only going to use Bluetooth with a mouse and a keyboard, it's not really worth it. But if you have a Bluetooth PDA or cell or something, go for it.

RAM is always good for improving system performance. I'd say just get more RAM.

Also, if you can, I'd say get a network going. AirPort Extreme base stations are expensive as ****, I'd say get a Netgear router if your house isn't too big, It works fine for me. Networks are really nice. I was sick the other day, and I was relaxing in bed, posting on Mac Forums wirelessly. It's really nice when you don't have any wires at all - it's freeing!

I guess the question is how much funds do you have? A Netgear router is like $15, it's REALLY cheap. 1GB of RAM, on the other hand, is like $500, which isn't cheap at all. Bluetooth + a mouse/keyboard is like $150.

Good luck on deciding, it's hard!
m1k

OP
D

Desolate One

I currently have a wired network with about 5 nodes. The Base Station would be nice, but right now due to the weather I'm not too excited about sitting out back w/ the iBook. I don't mind the CAT5 cable for the moment.

So it looks like RAM is the clear-cut winner from those that had posted. I was also leaning that way. I'm hoping it speeds up my CD rips since I'm only able to rip @ 1.7-2.2x using iTunes LAME, which is confusing to me.

Thanks for the input.

OP
M

m1k

So it looks like RAM is the clear-cut winner from those that had posted. I was also leaning that way. I'm hoping it speeds up my CD rips since I'm only able to rip @ 1.7-2.2x using iTunes LAME, which is confusing to me.

Well, as far as I can tell, RAM doesn't really speed up importing speed. When I doubled my RAM from 256MB to 512MB, it didn't really do much to the importing speed.

AAC is the best encoder, try it. I often get up to 15x importing, and it sounds better than LAME-encoded MP3s. Unless you need the MP3 format, that is...

OP
D

Desolate One

I will definitely look into AAC for encoding, but I still feel RAM may be the best choice for the moment... then again I'm doing everything I want on 256 at the moment.... HMmmm base station? :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.