onyX help

C

code777

i just downloaded onyX and used it and it seems to be working fine but i was curious about something that got put on the desktop - a file called

onyX_147.dmg

can i delete this? are there any other things that need to be deleted (stuff from downloading onyX that is not needed)? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
thats a disk image, its the onyx app in its downloded form, eject it if its mounted, and delete it.

OP
C

code777

Macman said:
thats a disk image, its the onyx app in its downloded form, eject it if its mounted, and delete it.

ahhh ok, thanks. deleted.

any other advice on using onyX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, I use it regularly, though you should only use it if you REALLY know what your doing, an inexperienced/begnning mac user can really screw up the os using onyx.:mac:

OP
C

code777

Macman said:
yes, I use it regularly, though you should only use it if you REALLY know what your doing, an inexperienced/begnning mac user can really screw up the os using onyx.:mac:

hmmmm, i think i already have :mad:

when i try to use mac help it opens and closes right away, what happened?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when you say opens and closes right away, do you mean it opens, and then quits, and you get the message: mac help has unexpectedly quit?if so, delete the preferences named : com.apple.help.plist, com.apple.helpui.plist, com.apple.helpviewer.plist. these are located in your home folder, library/preferences. after deleting those, restart and try it, if it still does it, repair permissions twice, restarting after each, and try that. keep us posted:mac:
side note: always beware of third party software, especially those that effect parts of the system.

OP
C

code777

well thank you for the suggestions but it did not work... i tried both options but when i click help it opens and quits right away, no message appears. any other ideas? thanks!

OP
C

code777

started a new thread, i uninstalled OnyX to see if that would help but of course that did not. Then I realized I deleted some files I probably should not have the other night. I do not think this is related to OnyX so I'll start a new thread.

I guess I should re-install OnyX huh... Geez, all i wanted to do was to make my iBook run smooth and now I'm probably cluttering it up by uninstall reinstall, etc... oh well...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.