Finally Got My Ibook!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
The long wait for me is finally over!!
I picked up my ibook today and had about 1 hour to play with it before I had to come to work. First thing I liked was the fact that Apple charges the battery for you before shipping which still means you should leave it plugged in to fully charge but it allows you to use it right away without bringing the ac adapter. The design of the computer is amazing!! It is well built and does slightly creak at the sides but the keyboard is fabulous!! It comes in second the IBM notebooks I have used before. The screen is bright and sharp althought not as good as the toshiba's but still very very good. Coming over from Windows XP, the MAC OS X is a very easy to use and learn for a complete stranger like myself. I think I will never get another PC again!! Btw, thanks to everyone who has given me advice on this forum. One more note, the computer definitely does need a ram boost for sure!!

More details and observations to come later on....

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
M

m1k

Congrats man!

Just one note about the iBook screen: it's actually really clear, why you think it isn't as clear as a Toshiba one is because the Toshiba one doesn't use font smoothing. Font smoothing is quite advanced, and it doesn't result in the pixelated look that most LCDs have. Check it out, you'll see what I mean. You'll come to love font smoothing, trust me. It may not seem natural at first, but it will be.

Congrats again!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Toshiba's screen has a better viewing angle...

The particular toshiba model that i am referring to is the satellite a70 series. If anything it has a better viewing angle than the ibook but i chose the ibook over it b/c of portability as well as ease of use of OS X. But don't get me wrong! i'm not slagging the ibook screen. it does have an excellent refresh rate and is noticeably better than the compaq presario screens.

Reaction score
I like the Sony X-Brite screens, they are pretty. Some PC laptop manufacturers turn on font smoothing, my dell had it on when I first got it.

M

m1k

The particular toshiba model that i am referring to is the satellite a70 series. If anything it has a better viewing angle than the ibook but i chose the ibook over it b/c of portability as well as ease of use of OS X. But don't get me wrong! i'm not slagging the ibook screen. it does have an excellent refresh rate and is noticeably better than the compaq presario screens.

Yeah, my school has Toshiba laptops and they're quite good! Viewing angle rocks as well. Congrats again on your purchase, I'm sure you'll enjoy it ;)

I like the Sony X-Brite screens, they are pretty. Some PC laptop manufacturers turn on font smoothing, my dell had it on when I first got it.

Yeah, I think Windows has a crappy feature like font smoothing but isn't as advanced, and you can tell. I love font smoothing because nothing looks choppy and pixelated, and when I see a screen without font-smoothing on, I think UGH!

Sony does make some nice stuff, agreed. That X505 is pretty good looking!

Reaction score
m1k said:
I think Windows has a crappy feature like font smoothing

They have 2 different types of font smoothing Standard and Clear type, it may not be the best but I wouldn't be able to notice a difference. Clear type looks similar to that of a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually Standard is the default setting and basically means 'off'.
Cleartype is the technology equivalent of anti-aliasing on the mac...

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally have some time to play with it...

Hello Yall!!

i have had the chance to play with this right now and man it is real nice!! OS X is a lot more stable than Windows XP. Not to say XP is unstable but the Mac operates a lot smoother and I can say this after using my brother's IBM R51. The quality of this machine is top notch and i am extremely glad i went mac instead of pc. i set up the font smoothing feature and it is excellent. The screen itself is very sharp and clear now that i have been using it for the past while. i will reiterate that this keyboard is excellent to type on!! i love how it is rigid and responsive but softer than the ibm keyboard. this is definitely superior than the typical pc notebooks you will find in stores. But man oh man i do need more ram for this baby. software that has been included is also excellent although i haven't had much time to play with it. sorry for babbling about nothing really but for those on the fence looking to get one, i strongly recommend you get one now and avoid the x'mas wait. i couldn't even stand waiting the 8 business days to receive this, (all in all it took 11 days). I think i am a convert for life now!! as well the battery life is also excellent and on par with 3 to 4 hour life based on how you use the ibook. nevertheless i will no doubt ask more questions out of all of you and make comments on this guy as i go along. BUT man the OS is a breeze to learn and use!!! :baron:

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Actually Standard is the default setting and basically means 'off'.

If you actually turn off font smoothing completely, it looks horrible, standard looks a little better than nothing.

M

m1k

i have had the chance to play with this right now and man it is real nice!! OS X is a lot more stable than Windows XP. Not to say XP is unstable but the Mac operates a lot smoother and I can say this after using my brother's IBM R51. The quality of this machine is top notch and i am extremely glad i went mac instead of pc. i set up the font smoothing feature and it is excellent. The screen itself is very sharp and clear now that i have been using it for the past while. i will reiterate that this keyboard is excellent to type on!! i love how it is rigid and responsive but softer than the ibm keyboard. this is definitely superior than the typical pc notebooks you will find in stores. But man oh man i do need more ram for this baby. software that has been included is also excellent although i haven't had much time to play with it. sorry for babbling about nothing really but for those on the fence looking to get one, i strongly recommend you get one now and avoid the x'mas wait. i couldn't even stand waiting the 8 business days to receive this, (all in all it took 11 days). I think i am a convert for life now!! as well the battery life is also excellent and on par with 3 to 4 hour life based on how you use the ibook. nevertheless i will no doubt ask more questions out of all of you and make comments on this guy as i go along. BUT man the OS is a breeze to learn and use!!!

Congrats man! I use my PowerBook 2-3 hours a day and I absolutely LOVE it! I'm sure you'll love your iBook for years!

Congrats,
m1k

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.