Do OS X users have issues accessing phpBB3 based forums?

Reaction score
Not a mac user myself, but I've got a phpBB 3.0.1 based online forum and I recently spoke with a user who has issues viewing the site correctly with her Mac OSX computer (I selected 10.0, but I really have no idea which one it is). She said the site displayed as just a bunch of lines. Is this a known issue or just a freak occurrence? Does anyone know of any possible work-arounds for this?

Thanks,
Alex

Reaction score
What's the site?

I don't think I would know off hand what forums I go to are phpBB3 or not. I can't recall ever going to a site and just getting lines before.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
could you post the URL? I have many macs here with 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5 OSX and can check the forums on all of them and get back to you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Going to fire up some other systems to be sure, but on Leopard and Safari 3.1.1 it's fine. Looks like a normal phpBB with no issues at all. Will update this post when I check it on older versions of OSX and Safari.

Ok, I tried my G4 with Tiger 10.4.11 and it's just like with Leopard. Site looks fine. Went into many of the threads and nothing looked wrong at all.

Right now on my old iMac G3 333Mhz with 10.3.9 Panther and the Safari that comes with it. Ditto. Site looks perfect here also.

I don't know what is going on with that persons Mac but something is wrong.

Hope this helps.

Send them here. Maybe we can help with their issue.

OP
A
Reaction score
Going to fire up some other systems to be sure, but on Leopard and Safari 3.1.1 it's fine. Looks like a normal phpBB with no issues at all. Will update this post when I check it on older versions of OSX and Safari.

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate it.

Are Mac-users nicer/more helpful than the average Joe or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I replied in your old thread as well, but here it is again just in case you missed it:

Sounds like a font issue...

Open Font Book, press "command + a" to select all and then go to "File > Validate fonts".

That should check all fonts installed on the system for errors.
Resolve any errors and the issue should hopefully go away.

OP
A
Reaction score
I replied in your old thread as well, but here it is again just in case you missed it:

Sounds like a font issue...

Open Font Book, press "command + a" to select all and then go to "File > Validate fonts".

That should check all fonts installed on the system for errors.
Resolve any errors and the issue should hopefully go away.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass on the info to my user. This does sound like it could be the culprit.

OP
A
Reaction score

Ok, I tried my G4 with Tiger 10.4.11 and it's just like with Leopard. Site looks fine. Went into many of the threads and nothing looked wrong at all.

Right now on my old iMac G3 333Mhz with 10.3.9 Panther and the Safari that comes with it. Ditto. Site looks perfect here also.

I don't know what is going on with that persons Mac but something is wrong.

Hope this helps.

Send them here. Maybe we can help with their issue.

Well the user in question was a teacher trying to access the site from an emac that wasn't her own. She's not having issues on her own computer.

I copied and pasted the replies you guys left me on my site, and I'll make a link to your site in case any other of my users have Macs.

Thanks again for all your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.