Big Switch Office for Windows to Office Mac

Reaction score
Ok this is almost bigger than the OS switch for me.
Office 2008 for Mac has a FAR better user interface than its gillion selling Windows counterpart!
The Microsoft Mac tema got it right- the MAIN things that everyone does with a document are...?
1> Printing
2> Saving
3> Emailing.
And guess what, in Office 2007 Windows these are NOT one click LARGE icons- you have to either hit the Office logo button then move your mouse down then over to the right to select one of these actions- VERY kludgy OR you can add some tiny little icons that are one click. Apple has led the way with larger icons for years since OS X first came out and in this case, bigger is better.
So the Mac Office team (God Bless em!) put LARGE icons for these most important functions right where they need to be- single click not hiding behind any stupid  "all in one' button.
All th while getting 99% file compatibility between the Windows and Mac versions.
I will be including a license for Office Mac with my order!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Interesting, I have both Office 2004 and iWork08 for Mac. I haven't even seen the Office 08 version yet. I may have to play with it one of these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Eh, I like both Office 2007 and Office 2008. They're both infinitely more useable than what they replaced

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Than what replacements?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Eh, I don't like Office '08 for Mac. Especially if I have to use the thesaurus or dictionary, it animates and does it slowly then makes it hard to navigate and the hotkeys aren't as easy as PC's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Well, they could hardly do worse than Office 2007. Besides the decision to use the Office logo as the menu-for-everything, the organization of the toolbars leaves a lot to be desired.

Office 2008's interface still seems very odd to me, though. The toolbars aren't customizable in the normal drag-and-drop way, Excel's formula bar can't be docked, and the main toolbar can't be floated. It's like each toolbar had a seperate design team.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Well, they could hardly do worse than Office 2007. Besides the decision to use the Office logo as the menu-for-everything, the organization of the toolbars leaves a lot to be desired.

Office 2008's interface still seems very odd to me, though. The toolbars aren't customizable in the normal drag-and-drop way, Excel's formula bar can't be docked, and the main toolbar can't be floated. It's like each toolbar had a seperate design team.

yes this is true on the Windows version as well. While this is true of both it is more pronounced in the WIndows version. I am sure MS had resones for this but really after all those billions in profits I would think that this product would be FAR advanced by now (allowing the user to make their onw tool bars AT LEAST). But this is what happens when thousands of coders do a job that hundreds (dozens) should be doing. VERY tough to get everyone on the same page

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I stopped using Office 2008 and went back to Pages for my daily work. I admit Pages, when compared to Word is under-developed, although I prefer its simple interface and quicker responsiveness (it loads faster, and requires less memory) than Word.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.