G4 - Open Firmware password/Can't zap PRAM!! Help please!

Reaction score
I bought a used G4 and I did a complete format on it. I put my OS X cd in for a clean install and all I see is the grey screen with the :) and the ? icon flashing.. I hit the option key and it shows a padlock prompting me for a password. When I go to the open firmware screen, it's in "command security" so I can't do anything without the password. I can't even 'zap' the PRAM using the CMD+Opt+P+R combo. I don't hear any chimes. I have 512MB internal RAM on the mobo, and a 512MB stick. I tried to remove the stick and zap the PRAM that way but no dice. I've tried everything it seems.

This is a perfectly good iBook, except of course the fact that I suddenly can't use it. Can anyone offer a working solution???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Features of Open Firmware Password Protection

When turned on using one of the PowerPC-based models listed above, Open Firmware Password Protection:
  • Blocks the ability to use the "C" key to start up from an optical disc.
  • Blocks the ability to use the "N" key to start up from a NetBoot server.
  • Blocks the ability to use the "T" key to start up in Target Disk Mode (on computers that offer this feature).
  • Blocks the ability to start up in Verbose mode by pressing the Command-V key combination during startup.
  • Block the ability to start up a system in Single-user mode by pressing the Command-S key combination during startup.
  • Blocks a reset of Parameter RAM (PRAM) by pressing the Command-Option-P-R key combination during startup.
  • Requires the password to use the Startup Manager, accessed by pressing the Option key during startup (see below).
  • Requires the password to enter commands after starting up in Open Firmware, which is done by pressing the Command-Option-O-F key combination during startup.
  • Blocks the ability to start up in Safe Boot mode by pressing the Shift key during startup.
Not very helpful, but informative.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.